Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Silver River and Juniper Creek

A good day to have a water resistant coat. I did beat most of the rain.  I steady drizzle is coming don now, 2:30 PM.   Kayaking the Silver River the cold was the worst thing.  55 degrees now.  I hear people scoffing. "55, cold?  You wimp"   It is cold when all you are in swim trunks and a tshirt.   Later, a poncho.   I saw the forecast high was 69 degrees.  As I got ready this morning it comfortable.  The high must have been at 8 am.

No visible sunrise, 6:52 AM.  Ate breakfast, headed 11 miles west to Ray's Wayside.  Four swallowtail kites wheeled over head as I prepared to launch.
 Underway at 8:10
Female wood duck
 Male wood ducks
Couple
 Female anhinga
'Limpkin
 Great blue heron


Moor hen
 Male anhinga
\
 Prothonotary warbler


Otter






 Alligator









Pair of  yellow crowned night herons


 Blue heron

 Over the first of the springs on the upper part of the Silver River
Looks like the private concession that runs the Silver Springs attraction is defering  maintenance pending the State taking over.  When I got back from Juniper Creek tonight, there was a story about Silver Springs on the local cable news channel.
 Turtle. I did not see a single sunning turtle or alligator. As there was no sun to be found.  They found warmth in the River and springs, which were warmer than the air.


Nesting anhingas

Over the main spring at 10:35
 Pileated wood pecker






 Anhinga nursery



 Red shouldered hawk  eyes tasty anhinga chicks
Swamp lily











I like cool, overcast, drizzly days.  Keeps people off the water.  I would have liked to have been dressed for the weather, but it was no big deal.  I did not stop, as that would mean getting wetter and colder.


Swallow tail kite

No monkeys.  A boating couple said they saw some.  My timing was off.
 Landed at 1. Loaded the car, ate the sandwich I had made on the way to Winn Dixie. Got food and beer.  Back to the cabin, where I waited out the rain.  Composing this Tale and napping.   The rain stopped, and I headed to the Juniper Wayside
Mill Dam Lake is a darn good location. 11 miles west to Rays Wayside, 15 miles east, and north to Juniper Wayside


Headed up Juniper Creek, 7PM

 Sweetwater Run.  I wanted to see if my friend/nemesis, Bob, was there.  Figured with the cool weather, he would be. Bob is an alligator.  See the Sweetwater Cabin Tales from Feb. for more.  I heard voices.  Distant. Had to be up in the cabin.  So, I paddled in, quietly, for a look.
 No alligator in the spring.  I did not linger, as this is a private, with reservation, spot.


Back on Juniper Creek

 Below is what happens when you take a photo of a moving deer in a moving kayak on a cloudy day

The view when I came about 7 PM. 




 This time, I was ready for the deer.  May have been the same one.
It took cover




Landed at 7:45
 Sunset over Juniper Prairie
 This is how it looks with the Auto camera setting.   So,I like to use super vivid
Now you know my secret.  Saw four deer on the side of Highway 40 on the drive back to Mill Dam Lake.  Nice way to end the day.  

4 comments:

Luis said...

Great Otter pic!!!!

Joanne said...

Good otter and Prothonotary Warbler pics.
Would you stay at the cabin again? Good price; beats Silver River SP cabins at $110, but then again, they are plush.

Yoga Key West said...

I agree with Luis! What is the fat little bird with the yellow breast and head? Any guesses?

Dave said...

I will stay again.

Prothonotary warbler