Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, May 13, 2013

Bahia Honda State Park


I had never kayaked at Bahia Honda. Spent a beach and snorkel Easter with my sister and family, years ago.            Stopped by on a recent Keys visit, but it was too windy.   This time, I took the flying kayak and got on the water. But first, I stopped at WeCycle .  Evan had told me the new T-Shirts were in when he saw I was wearing one with the old, ReCycle name and logo.  He was not in, but his partner, who's name I forgot, was in.  He refused payment.  When you are in Key West and need a rental, contact WeCycle.  They will deliver.  Or stop by the big green building on Stock Island.   Still has the ReCycle sign.  Need a permit from the City of Key West to change it
 Into the Atlantic at 10:45.  Would have been a little earlier, but I followed the signs to the boat ramp.  Concrete, on the Florida Bay side.  Was just about to launch when I saw a guy walking with a kayak paddle.  From the beach just behind me. Put the yak back on the roof, drove over, parked near the rental kayaks and pushed off from the sand

The old bridge. Spanning 5055 feet across fast moving waters 35 feet in depth. Figures from a Park brochure.


Camp site

Docks in a cove behind the campsites. There are 72 sites, in three places.   Also, six cabins

I was impressed by people with tents in the mid May heat.  Until I saw all but one site also had a camper.

Under the new bridge





Great white heron. Did not see much wildlife. A magnificent frigate bird soared high above.   I did see at least one of them all  3 days.

Through the old and new bridges on the north end of Bahia Honda.



Saw small dorsal fins as I came into the Atlantic. Seemed more fish like than shark, but I was not sure.

A few minutes later, I was sure.  Paddling in a school of tarpon
 Wish I had better pictures.  Best part of the paddle.  The tarpon run is keeping my nephew, Aaron busy





Landed at 1:10.  The paddle around Bahia Honda is 4.5 miles, according to http://www.amazon.com/Florida-Keys-Paddling-Guide-Largo/dp/0881505447

An excellent resource.  The trip around No Name Key is 8 miles.
 Sat down at a picnic table for lunch
 A laughing gull wanted some

Ready to go to the top of the old bridge. The above display notes, at 65 feet high, it is the tallest on Henry Flagler's Overseas Railroad.








 Now you, and by you, I mean, you, Luis, know how I got the "flying kayak" view.  I guy on the bridge pointed out a ray below.  And a solar array on the new bridge.  Which powers an underwater camera.  The results can be viewed in the Park Nature Center, and http://teens4oceans.org/?page_id=1746  The video is not working for me, hopefully, it will for you.




I went into the Sand and Sea Nature Center to see what was on the underwater camera.  Snook.  I told the ranger about the school of tarpon I paddled with.  He said chances are, hammerhead sharks were nearby.  I did a little research. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFC16xwln2k    I also asked if there was any access to a lagoon in the center of the Key.  He said there was, off the Silver Palms Trail.  So, I drove to the other end of the Park Road to check it out


The holes are made by crabs




Wrack line feeders






 This bridge is over an opening to the lagoon.  It did not reach the ocean.

Maybe it does when the tide is right.  I left Bahia Honda State Park at 3:15 and began the long drive home
 Seven Mile Bridge
 Pigeon Key
Not sure where this last picture was taken.  Maybe at the light at Little Palm Island.Traffic stopped,so I took the final picture of the weekend.   Home at 9:30

1 comment:

Luis said...

A flying kayak now? :)