Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, May 24, 2013

Memorial Day, Mill Dam Lake Weekend. Day One, Alexander Creek

And, Spring.  The title was long enough.
I worked a half day today.  Got on the road about 12:35, on the water at 2:30.  As I paid the $5.50  day use fee at the Alexander Springs Recreation Area, the attendant told me I could not go in the spring as trappers were removing an alligator
I  assume the one that caused concern was not inflatable. The live one must have been caught, as people were in the Spring swimming area.

I headed down Alexander Creek
 I frequently see a bald eagle on this tree.  Just vultures today.








Turtles were skittish.  I'd estimate for every one I got a photo of, four slid into the Creek.  Which, after one canoe near the launch, I had to myself.



Turned around at 3:50.  At the point where a few modest homes appear on the right bank.'
 Green heron



 Took the vulture photo just in case it was an eagle.  At a distance, it is had to tell.  For me.
One of the two gators I saw on the way down Creek


 Motors are rare on Alexander Creek, even where they are permitted.







 Almost picked the above photo for the coveted opening position.

 Landed at 5:15
This is not where I am staying.
 The path from Creek to parking takes you past an Indian Mound
Kayak on car, time to snorkel









No swimming past the buoy.   I turned around. After biting down the wrong way on my snorkel, resulting in a mask full of water.  Causing be to miss a photo of a big snapping turtle.  Its dusty wake is below






No visit to Alexander Springs  is complete without a walk on the Timucuan Trail

 Usually I go out on the boardwalk along the Creek, back on the path through the forest

Board walks over areas that get wet and little spring runs




Sabal palm. State Tree.








 If the canoe were yellow, and in Wisconsin, circa 1972, the kid in back could be me.  Detail on an info kiosk.  Left the Rec Area at 7
8, car unpacked, time to take a few sunset pics at Mill Dam Lake





Last photo is looking northeast.  This cabin has more amenities than the one I was in five weeks ago.  Central air, oven, outdoor grill, a full menu of cable channels, and a can opener

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Great opening shot.
Which cabin are you staying in? Sounds nice.

Dave said...

No. 1. Which has the best view as no one is on my left.

Joanne said...

Thanks! Central air and a can opener---that's the cabin I want.