Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Mill Dam Lake Weekend Day 3. Cedar Key

I was able to get the sunrise, Sunday.  Fog just at lake level.


Moon still out. Not sure about the other circles 




Breakfast


Driving the last 4 miles, of 90, to Cedar Key.  Arrived at City Park Beach around 10:30.  Not surprisingly, no parking spaces left in the small lot.  I parked on the street.  Close enough to carry the kayak to the water.
 Underway at 10:50.  Holiday boat traffic coming our of the marina, so I paddled to the Number 2 Channel



The wreck  was high.  Meaning the water was too low to explore the mangrove islets and twisty waterways on the other side.


.





Cemetery Point



Under the Number 3 Channel Bridge into the open, shallow, oyster shell, mangrove island dotted area where white pelicans are winter visitors.

 Lesser scaup. (I think)


I think if I just tapped the right most bird of the one legged trio, they'd go down like dominoes on Calle Ocho
 Killdeer. There were a lot of them at Mill Dam Lake. But there, they were flighty, I never got a photo
The water got too low before I got within 300 yards of Scale Key.  Scraping bottom on oyster shells
is not good.  Did it a couple more times on the way back.  The water is dark.  As was the Chassahowitzka when I paddled it last week.  I hope it just springtime river runoff


 Something was moving, ahead.  Turtle? Never seen one's head stay up for more than a moment.
Some creature, or creatures had attached itself to a float and tiny legs pushed it forward. Never seen that before.


 Stopped for lunch at Cemetery Point.
A good spot for dolphins.  I've seen them from the kayak and the boardwalk.  Coming from the picnic shelter, I head, than saw some dolphins.  I scrambled to get back in the kayak and on the water.


I do not think I ever had four dolphins in one photo before




There were at least 8 dolphins



I followed the pod as they swam back and forth in a fairly small area.  I should have just stayed in place and waited for them.













About half the pod went into a cove .  As did I.  I received a good splashing as they came out of the cove, perhaps  momentarily blinded by the sediment they had stirred up.  That got a dad and his kids watching from a dock into their kayak.  First dolphins they had seen all week.  First time one, or more, had splashed me.  Unlike manatees, which has happened more times than I can remember


 I spent at least one hour dolphin watching.  My first photo has a 1:05 time stamp. The last 2:05.  And other than the family who got in their kayak, and guys fishing from Cemetery Point, no one else was out.  As I wrote earlier, it was busy near the Marina and ramp, but it is easy to escape the crowds at Ceder Key.  Which are not very big to begin with.  Even on one of the busiest boating weekends of the year.  I also saw a sea turtle.






Cedar Key is such a neat place.  Mangrove islands to the left.
 Downtown on the right
Old railroad line.

 Just the prow of the wreck out of the water.  I saw two roseate spoonbills fly across the Number 2 Channel . Tide high enough to check my spoonbill spot


This is not my usual spoonbill spot.  I was not quite there when I heard voices, and then a small flock of spoonies flew overhead.  "I've never seen them in flight before!" Must be his first time kayaking in Cedar Key.  I paddled to where they often roost, not there.  Paddled into the mangrove maze at the Number 3 Channel, and found them.



Speaking of maze, after finding one group of spoonies, I figured I could find my way back to the Number 2 Channel, but after paddling about to find a second group, I paddled out the Number 3 Channel into the Gulf.



 Magnificent friggin bird
 I mean, magnificent frigate bird
Landed at 3:45.  The shelter on the left was empty.  Water spigot to rinse my feet and paddle. And spray skirt which was full of sediment from the dolphin splashing.  I just had it around my waist, just in case.  Dual outlet to recharge camera battery and plug in the laptop.
Wi fi from my favorite lodging, Park Place.   Not the greatest signal from across the street, which is to be expected.  So I spent more time rebooting than downloading photos from Saturday  I fully charged one battery, and was ready to go.  Only to have the holiday boat parade leave the marina.  Not an official event, the line of vehicles and trailers all wanting to leave at once.  Finally, it cleared, and spaces opened in the car parking area.  I went to move my car closer, turned the key, and heard ..... "and vacation on the Gulf of Mexico" Good timing for Pink Houses.  A delay as more boaters left, and stop their rigs for the final tie down.  Blocking people trying to get in and out of the auto parking area.  I finally parked, put the kayak on the roof, and walked to Dock Street.

 A new, double lane, ramp is being built
I wanted to go to the Pickled Pelican, but it
 closes at 4 on Sundays.  They have been open before on Monday Holiday eves.  Bad business decision.  It was like a second Saturday.  Lots of people on the street, looking for a place to eat.   I crossed the street to the Big Deck Raw Bar.

View of the inner harbor
 View of my beer.  I asked what was on tap, and when the waitress got to Old Red Scottish Ale, I ordered that.  Put "red" in your beer's name, and I'll try it.
Clam chowder.  Gotta have clams when in Cedar Key.

More scenic views. Gulf of Mexico, across the street.


 Oyster Po'boy. I was expecting a sub type bun, but it was good.   As was the coleslaw.  Crisp and crunchy.  I had asked my waitress which side she recommended.  Choices are fries, slaw, or potato salad.  She said fries.  I told her the last time I was here the fries were soggy.  That waitress said the homemade fries are either soggy, or burnt.  Tonight's waitress then advised to have coleslaw.


Went to the fishing pier to see where the sun would set.  On the other side of the island.  It would be a long paddle, or bike ride, well short ride, its a small island, to see it.  I was feeling quite mellow, it was 6:50, sunset was not until 8:20.   A long time to wait and then drive 90 miles.  So, I decided to head back to Mill Dam Lake.

I now know why I was feeling a little buzz.
10.1 alcohol    'Wee heavy" indeed.


Stopped at the Number 4 Bridge. Boat ramp and fishing pier on the old bridge.  A good spot to watch the sunset this time of year.  From a boat, the new bridge is to the west of the old.  But, sunset was still an hour away, so I headed "home"

No comments: