Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Rock Springs Run, Wekiwa Springs State Park

A nice, but  crowded, paddle on Rock Springs Run today.



Gators on the Wekiva.  Due to a relatively late start, there were already people paddling from the Wekiva Island concession to the State Park.  Figured I'd lose them once I got on Rock Springs Run
 On Rock Springs Run, there was already a group at the former sand bar.  Once past them, I'd have it to myself, as usual.   Voices ahead.  Great.  Paddle boarders.  I could see 3-5.   I caught up.  "How many are there"  "Twenty"  NOOOoooooooo......  I did not say that out loud.  Must have been one of those "Meetup" things.  We were in the first open area.  I asked how far they were going.  "About a half mile further"  I paddled past them, one by one  They stopped in the tree canopied area.  I think mass social events should be in a bar, or someones home.  But then, I don't have (m)any friends.   At least they were somewhat quiet.  But, just a normal voice x 20 or more carries a long way.

A tree is down in the Run, I was able to push over it.

More crowds on Rock Springs Run, but the expected type.  Coming down stream from Kings Landing and the campsites.  A large group of young campers, another one still at Indian Mound Camp.  Another 10 or so paddlers in 4 groups.   I paddled a little farther up the Run then I wanted to, letting people get down the Run.            Hearing voices from up Run, I turned around.  The opening photo is the view when I came about



Several of the paddlers I saw as I went up stream had stopped at Big Buck and Indian Mound.  A good thing,  as I was thinking there would be a traffic jam at the log blocking the Run.  The young campers had left.






The barrier. This time, I got out and pulled the kayak over




The sandbar was full of paddle boarders.  What, did they paddle up and down a couple times?   I found the group's website.  They went in two shifts.  23 people at 9 am, 27 at 12:15 pm.    Some people just like being part of  mob, I guess.





Landed at 1:15. Ate lunch, carted the kayak up the hill, put it on the roof, took the road bike off.

  To the Sand Lake trail head parking lot.  Off the bike, on the feets.



A good afternoon for gopher tortoises
 Conehenge


 I was going to hike to Lake Prevatt, or until I saw a deer.


There were 3 deer.  I was almost to the Lake, so I kept going.


In March, 2012, the Lake was dry, I walked out into the middle of it.


I saw another deer. That made 4.  As many deer as people.   I was also saved by Conehenge.   The trail was not looking familiar after an intersection.  Had I gone the wrong way?  Walked back to get my bearings.      Saw Conehenge.  I was on the right trail. Funny how a trail can seem different coming the other direction
 Back to Sand Lake after a two hour walk.  Plus a few rest breaks on trail benches
I wanted to take another break, but it was beginning to rain, so I got on the bike

Saw two more deer as thunder boomed and lightning flashed.  The rain got heavy just as I got into the car.  Welcome to summer.  It was 93 yesterday.   Pretty hot today, before the storm. Which in typical Florida fashion, was localized.  A mile out of Wekiwa Springs State Park, no rain.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Ah, Dave, we are such kindred spirits. That's why you are my very favorite paddling buddy that I never paddle with--although Luis is a close second.

Sorry it was so crowded. I thought about doing river patrol yesterday, but just wasn't in the mood for the masses.

Octohawk said...

I had a NIGHTMARISH paddle on Rock Springs Run a couple of weekends ago. There were so many people on the run that the water looked like airboats had gone through it. I kept waiting to turn a corner and see a motor boat, but it was just the sheer number of people kicking up sediment. I kept telling my friend who had never been there that it was crystal clear, but nowhere on the run did that actually become true. I also saw so many belligerently drunk people acting like idiots that I ended up writing a letter to the park service asking them to do a far better job monitoring. The new owners at King's Landing don't give two shits about any of it, they just see dollar signs and want to get more and more people on the river, and I've NEVER seen so many in my years of paddling there. It was all awful.

Joanne said...

Octohawk, thank you for writing the letter to the park service. You might contact the owners of King's Landing and Wekiva Island, too. With the state park, Wekiva Island, and King's Landing all renting canoes and kayaks on weekends, it is definitely out of control. Nobody is doing any monitoring except a few volunteers (like me) from the state park, and I'm not sure I'll be doing any more weekends.
They really need to have law enforcement out there on weekend afternoons in the summer.

Octohawk said...

Joanne- I agree with you that there truly needs to be law enforcement out there on the weekends. The response I received back stated that FWC officers were on the river the day before "for several hours" but their patrol boat can't go up Rock Springs Run because of the motor. And based on my experience that day, the new owners of King's Landing don't care at all and writing them would be a waste of time. I launched there with my own boats and took the shuttle back, and EVERYONE at the pick-up (there were a lot) except my friend and I were absolutely wasted and openly drinking booze, even INSIDE the van on the ride back to King's Landing with one of the owners driving. I was so appalled, my blood was boiling. I used to do the run from KL down to Wekiva pretty often, but after ownership of both places has changed, and everything else about the area along with it, I don't even know where to go anymore. I have to take a day off work just to paddle anymore, which sucks since I don't get paid leave despite working for the DEP. It's all so frustrating. I mean, this isn't Wet 'N Wild, it's an incredibly unique natural area we should all thank our lucky stars we get to use.
Ugh. End rant.

A3 said...

Conehenge... :)