Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Haulover Canal

It had been a long time since I was last in the kayak.  Monday. And, I had to wait even longer, working in the morning.  As you recall,  I kayaked Monday in Fort Myers by working half a day.  Today was the second half.  The hiatus could have been much longer.  On the way to work, an idiot decided it was better to kill himself, and me, instead of getting a ticket for a toll violation.  He came across three lanes of traffic, cutting in front of me, braking, crossing the white diagonal, last chance lines. I missedhimbythismuch.  If I had not put new tires on the car a few months ago, I think I would have hit him.
On the water at 1:00. From the stony kayak launch at Bairs Cove.  As reported in the last Haulover Tale, the drawbridge is under repair.  Launching from the usual spot, on the other side of the bridge, would have required taking the circuitous route I used when the Space Shuttle was flying.   My Duck Stamp covered the 5 fee.  New ones come out in July.  The launch is on the back side of the Bairs Cove lot.  "Dolphin Cove" is my name for it.  No dolphins today.  Went into Bairs Cove.

Plenty of manatees in Bairs





10 minutes of manatee watching.  Time to get back in the Canal and paddle west to the Indian River.
 And, Mullet Head Island





 Always good to post spoonbills.  After none last weekend from Sanibel




The west side of the island is nice.  Offers protection from the sea breeze, and, the boundary stakes are a little closer in.  So, my little camera gets ok pics.





 A manatee swam by.





Marks the spot



Back on the east side of Mullet Head.  The wind, out of the southeast was building white caps.  No photos until I was back across the River.


 I always have to explore the short canals south of Haulover.  No wildlife. Animal, that is.  Wacky Florida plant life.  Cactus growing on the bank.

 Back to the Indian River  To the alternate canal, into "Dolphin Cove" to Haulover Canal


Manatees seeking shade, just east of the Manatee Overlook
Sad.  A bloated, dead manatee being towed by a law enforcement boat.  Manatee mortality is up.  The waters in the River, Canal, and Mosquito Lagoon are dark.  Like they were last summer.


I saw a couple alligators in the protected area-from the wind- on the north east end of the Canal.  Just took a peak at the windy Mosquito Lagoon before paddling back.

A closer view at the manatees I passed earlier.



Back in Bairs Cove where 15 or so manatees frolicked.


My camera is slooooow.  Thankfully, it has a video function 






I do not have pictures of the best part of my 30 minute manatee meeting.  One back floating, under the kayak, rolling over, and gently carrying me on its back.  I did nothing to attract, or encourage the behavior, just went along for the ride.


 Through the alternate canal, for peak at the Indian River for dolphins.
No dolphins, just the Vehicle Assembly Building.  Back to the launch site.  Kayak, not rocket.


Landed at 4:30.  Three and a half hours of paddling and manatee watching.  I had thought of stopping at Wetlands  Park on the way home.  But, it was hot, I forgot my wallet, not that there is an admission fee.  More a matter of being hungry and concerned about gas. So, I went home.

No comments: