Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, June 17, 2013

Lovers Key State Park and Sanibel Island

Typical day. Ended with sunset, began with breakfast.
Both free.  After breakfast, I went to Lovers Key State Park
 Underway at 9:20.  There is a ramp, like at Bunche Beach Preserve, a layer of indoor/outdoor carpeting.  At least that is what it looks like.  I put in from the bank.

A made man canal winds through the interior of the Park. 2.5 miles round trip. At the .75 mark there are gaps in the mangroves that lead to a small bay.




 The birds, along with a tri colored heron and green heron, were in that area.
Through the bay, under a bridge, into Estero Bay


 I wanted to paddle to Mound Key.  I failed to find it last time I was here.  This time, I had looked at a map,  It is behind two islands with a channel between them.  I spotted the islands as I crossed a bridge on the way to Lovers Key


The channel is shallow, as is the area from the exit to Mound Key.  Good to avoid motorboats and jet skis


 I saw the dock, and assumed I was at Mound Key.  A large group of paddlers were coming across the bay.  I know there are two landings at Mound Key.  I have been here before. I headed to the other landing.  But, coming around a corner, I did not see it.  Was this Mound Key?  An island in the distance looked more moundy? moundlike?
I turned around.  Passed the dock, which is private.  It has a sign, State Park Landing 300 Yards, with arrows pointing both ways.
No way was I going to land here. So, I paddled around the Key

Saw a manatee's wake, but no manatee. I turned around, paddle after it.  At a distance, hoping it would surface.  It had to come for air, at the pace it was going. The manatee is a better athlete than I.  It did not come up for air, at least as I was observing.  I turned around.

 I saw why I had not seen the other landing earlier.  It is tucked away, in a small cove.  If I had not noticed the gauge and gone to investigate, I would have missed it, again.


Reached in the cooler for mosquito juice.  None.  Oh, oh.
 I also failed to duck for this branch as I began walking up the mound

I do not think the land title goes back to the Calusa.  Maybe to the Jesuits.  Speaking of which.


Last thing I expected to see at Mound Key State Park. Mass. But then, it is the site of the first Spanish Jesuit mission in the New World. As it was in 1566, Mound Key is only accessible by boat. This explained the pile of canoes and kayaks at  the landing.. Walked up the hill just in time for Communion. I did not partake. Had there been a bulletin, I would have grabbed it, so I could tell Dad I went to church on Father's Day. Of course, if the whole Catholic after life thing is true, he knows I did not. On the other hand, the lawyer in him will appreciate I never said I went to Mass, the celebration, just church, a building. Or, in this case, an ancient shell mound.
 I did not think post Communion prayer and reflection was the proper time to ask for some off, so I head back.  Fending off mosquitoes with my hat in time to the post Communion hymn. I wondered if the congregation was from Ave Maria University. The conservative Catholic college near Ft. Myers.  The world wide web has yet to provide an answer.

 A power boat came in as I was leaving.  I told them they should trade it in for kayaks.  "You need to be in shape to do that"  Ha. Manatees are in better shape than I.

Once you know what to look for, the route is easy.  Paddle between the islands to the bridge over Big Carlos Pass, then hang a louie









 Green heron

Back in the canal


 The landing
My landing. 1:50 PM. Had a sandwich in the shelter.  Salami and cheese from home, mustard packet from Publix, bread from the La Quinta breakfast buffet. There is a lot more to do at Lovers Key, trails, beach, but        I went back to the hotel to wait out the afternoon in air conditioned comfort.
 5:15, Bailey Tract of the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island


 A separate  parcel from the main refuge that is closed as Wildlife Drive is repaved.








Next stop, the beach.







 Sea turtle nest
In front of a nest some may recognize


Sunny day +  rainbow = paradise
 Faint, but what did you expect from a blue sky rainbow?

Another nest, in front of another familiar spot.  It may look the same, but is a little farther away from the lighthouse.

If your name is Bill, you have a stool waiting at the Lazy Flamingo
 On an Island, one must have a beer with Island in the name.  I got it because it was on the specials board,
Conch chowder.  Spicy!
 Grouper basket.  $32.87 for my meal.  Good thing I only spent $4.99 on Saturday's dinner

I never noticed that the building looks like the prow of a ship before.
 Or, kayak.  I set out from the Causeway in search of the sunset
As on Saturday, it was a bit choppy.  I turned back at 8:01



Turned around at 8:13 to catch the sun going down









 That's the show for tonight folks, remember to tip your bartender and waitress.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Dave, you have been inducted into the Church of the Double Bladed Paddle. I didn't think you would mind, since you attended services on Mound Key.

Luis said...

It does not look like we are going to Sanibel Island this year so will have our adventure through your posts.

Joanne said...

I love the Lazy Flamingo up near Blind Pass, within walking distance of the cottages at Castaways. Castaways has a special in January, $99/night for bayside cottages. Launch from back yard.

Unknown said...

were those REALLY Jesuits????

the choppy sundown was beautiful!

Dave said...

I assume the modern day priests are from the conservative Catholic college, who's name escapes me at the moment, in Ft. Myers. The Jebbies are much to liberal for that institution.