Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Wekiva River

And, a little Blackwater Creek, above.  This makes 3 out of the last 4 times I have gone to Katie's Landing. And, 4 times in a row on the Wekiva.  Yesterday, 11 miles up River, at Wekiwa Springs. Once again, rain was forecast, so, a close by, scenic location was the place to go.
 Underway at 8:23.  A couple was unloading kayaks from a trailer as I got ready.  "Big family, or business? Business   $59 to $89 bucks. Hmmm.......I have two extra kayaks.
A pair of green herons on the west side of the River

Down the Wekiva


 This great blue heron struck a pose at the cove where I saw manatees, Thursday.  None today.  At least none that I saw.






Moor hen


 This boat was not here on Thursday

 Note to Stephanie.  I went into the opening that I thought was the one you explored a while back.  Unless the channel you paddled through is behind the fallen tree, this is not it.  Dead ended just off the river









There is a gator in the above photo.  One of two at the mouth of Blackwater Creek.

Access to the Creek is blocked.  At the point where you make a hard right turn.  Alternate route is also blocked.
 Hopefully, I will see it there are any more blockages coming the other way, on the 4th.  Just emailed my request for a State Forest Use Permit.  A place that requires a permit is the place to be on a holiday.  I have to work Friday, as if that will be productive, so no holiday road trip.
Back on the Wekiva



 It rained. It stopped.
Red bellied woodpecker
  Landed at 12:20.  The tour trailer was leaving as I landed.
Trail head across the street.


 Had to cut the walk short. Thunder and lightning
It came down as I was on Wekiva Park Road.  Raining cats and dogs. And chickens and cows and elephants.  It was nasty.  For miles to the Interstate, no more rain.  Gotta love scattered storms.

No comments: