Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Cedar Key, Day 2

Got up to see the sunrise, only to have it blocked by the Cedar Cove condos.  Building on the left.  So, I went out side, crossed the street, and got a vantage from the  breakwall/marina/parking lot.



And,dock

 Back inside before 7. Tried to sleep, could not.  Breakfast plate, rice, clams, steak, red onions
On a rough and windy Gulf at 10 past 9.  Water crashing over, and into the kayak as I launched.
 No pics until I was in the Number 2 Channel



  Oyster catcher and willet? on the oyster bar at the wreck






American avocets. I thought I had only seen these at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, from the car, on Blackpoint Wildlife Drive. But, a mail search reveals I some while kayaking at Caladesi Island in March, 2005.  According to the Cornell U. website they winter in Florida, and "In summer it can be found in temporary and unpredictable wetlands across western North America"   So, I wonder what they are doing in western Florida.




When one is a member of the Church of the Double Bladed Paddle, two Sunday services are appropriate.



It would be a dream not to take this road tomorrow afternoon
 And stay in Cedar Key
 Not a head scratcher at all.





Two spoonbills






Two dolphins.  Not visible.  Usual area, near Cemetery Point. They were headed towards the Number 3 Bridge.  But having been there Saturday, I took another route.



 Crab trap buoy
Moving.  Is it a satellite tag? Some injured manatees,  rehabilitated and released back to the wild, have tethers tied to their tail attached to a float and antenna that look a lot like trap buoys.  The antenna are longer.
 It was moving quickly, against the wind and tide  Not a satellite tag.  Not a manatee, as I followed over 5 minutes and it did not surface  I think with the time and effort, a manatee would have come up for air. Turtle? Fish? A mystery.


Clam lease is my guess.
 View to the right
 left of the markers. 
And, straight ahead. I turned back.
Saw dolphins two more ties, but was unable to get photos.  The law of averages caught up with me after Saturday's dolphinpaloza.









 Could not approach the avocets as closely as before.
Tide was out
I began to mentally prepare for the paddle in the Gulf.  It was rough in the morning.

 No worries.  Almost flat.
 If had been like this at 9 AM I would have paddled to Seahorse Key
But, pull back a it, and there were distant clouds.

Landed at 12:30. Lots of seaweed on the beach after two windy days.  I fixed lunch, cheese steak, and wrote Saturday's Tale.
After a 3  hour break from the mid day heat, I was on the bike












The end of Airport Road.  I would be back here, later in the day.


 I ducked








Of course
Need to see a pelican


 Saw the family

 Not a bad place to spend eternity





I did not see any dolphins


The great egret would have preferred I not be on the boardwalk

 Crest
 Shell
The next four photos are taken from the same spot.



Nice spot





 I knew I'd see pelicans eventually





 Concreteblockhenge.
Doesn't quite roll off the tongue like Stonehenge.
 Back at 5. Have a beer
 Dinner.  My second helping, and get back in the kayak.  Only to have the weather turn for the worse. Too rough to kayak for the sunset. Looking out over the balcony, cloudy and drizzle. Oh well, I can walk in the rain, maybe I'll see something. Out the door, the other side of my unit, the Sun!  Got on the bike and rode to seek the sunset

View from the bridge linking Way Key to the key the airport is on.
Views from the end of the road next to the runway






Same road, different spot, above


 Too bad the pelican was not on the top rail

The bridge, again.
 Canal view


 Gulf Blvd scenes



 From Dock Street
 Dock Street
Just before I went inside, 8:55 PM EDT

No comments: