Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Greater St. Augustine

So titled because I began the kayaking portion of the day paddling the Mantanzas River, home of the namesake 18th century fortress. Instead of taking I-95 and US 1 to St. Augustine, I took the scenic route getting off 95 at Old Dixie Highway, and driving part of the scenic Ormond Loop.  Saw two deer in the thick pre dawn fog as I drove under a canopy of live oaks, then winded along coastal marshes before crossing the Halifax River and reaching A1A and North Peninsula State Park at 6:19
Twenty minutes  before sunrise, so after a quick pic, I continued north, hoping the fog would lift.  Thought of stopping at Washington Oaks State Park, sunrise with the waves crashing over the coquina formations would be cool, but it has a heavy gate across the entrance until  8AM .  Had it not been so foggy, anywhere on the side of the road from Highbridge Road to Flagler Beach would be a good sunrise spot, as there are no buildings on the ocean side of A1A.  I was past that area when I noticed a parking area, Atlantic side. I pulled in and got out
 6:46 AM, to foggy to see the sun and the tide was way, way out, man
.
Looking back from the water's edge
Juvi yellow crowned night heron





I asked  woman if she was a local.  Yes.  I followed up by asking if the boardwalk and other amenities were here 10 years ago.  "No, built 9 years ago" 
 Nearest to a sunrise shot I could get
At River to Sea Preserve Park in Flagler County. Next stop, the Mantanzas River, in St.Johns County

I passed this, going to the main entrance to the Fort Matanzas National Monument.  It was not yet open, so I turned back to a parking area I had passed. Could not see the Fort in the fog.  The plaque gave me the impression is was ahead.  I went back to car and got the kayak



After wheeling the kayak a good ways into the River, it was low tide here, too, I was on the water at 7:25. Paddling south, along the east bank, actually sandbars,of the Mantanzas River.



I still did not see the Fort.  I was almost to the Inlet, Matanzas Inlet, and figured it had to be in the other direction.  I turned round.  Paddled into a swift tide

Saw a sign on the west bank, so I paddled across.  Landed.
 The Fort was just ahead, although I still could not see it.  That took another 5 minutes once I was back on the water.
Zoom view
Actual size










The Fort is on an island.  The dolphins were near the north tip.  I also saw more sea turtles than I have ever seen at one time.Not the big ones.  2 feet by 18 inches or so.  As I write at 10:15 PM, I can't remember how many.   


 The dock is for the National Park Service Tour boat.  That is the only way you can land at the historic site.



 Saw five roseate spoonbills fly overhead as I crossed the River and approached the Visitor Center dock

 I landed.
Did not walk the Nature Trail as the tour boat was leaving shortly.
 The boat ride is free, but a ticket is required.



 The tour is limited to 35 people.  I think there were less than that on the 9:30 crossing, the first of the day.


 IdohavetomentiontheParkServiceignorestheMinimumWakeRestriction.Andmyspacebarwillnotwork




I-took-the-tour-atleast-oncebefore-Manyyearsago




 TheFort-has3levels-Gundeck
 Livingquarters






Lastly-up-ladder-through-ahole=in-the-celing-tothetop

 At-the-top-of-the-abovephoto-iswhere-theRivercurvesleft-westparoundthe-island.Rightis=the-mainrouteog-theIntracostal.





I'mhome-8;25PM-Sunday-spacebar0didnot-fix-itself.


 I-was-not-left-behind

 If-you-like-history-nature-and-a-boat-ride,visit-Fort-Matanzas.If-you-don't,you're-on-thewrong-website

 Backin-myown-vessel-at-10;25



 Return-to-the-launch.

 Fort-visible,themp-that-had-me-paddle-thewrongway




Thesite-is-part-of-the-NationalMonument.Popularwith-anglers-swimmers,but-Isaw-no=other=padldlers.The-smalllot-was-almostfull.A-secondlot-is-acrossA1A
 View-froma-picnic-shelter-at-AnastasiaStatePark.Lunchtime.11:35
On-SaltRun,12:02



Three-dolphins.Notfar-from=thelaunch.2-working-as-a-team.1solo







The-SUPer-offers-perspective-of-the-dune-height

Speaking-of-height,the-lighthouse.





dangerroll,alittlebitofblues,andawholelotofsoul.What-goes-through-my-mind-on-the-water.

Came-to-the-confluence-of-SaltRun-the-MantanzasRiver-and-the-St.AugustineInlet.Saidaprayer-and-crossed-thebusy-channel

To-the-Castillo=San-Marcos
 An,the-Old-City




It-was-hard-to-tell-if-this-turtle-was-dead-or-alive...I-had-seen-more-live-onesin-SaltRun..From-the-size,KempsRidley.The-sameonesIoften-see-aound-CedarKey.
Or,wasit//green/turtle?An/web/search/toldme/KempsRiley/are/the/only/small/turtles.A/YakTales/search/says/a/small/turtle/an/anger/caught/at/FortCinchStateParkwas/a/green/turtle
 Crowdgathered-to=watch-and-hear-the-cannon-firing.Cannonfiring-not-sure-Ilike-that.Gotit-on-video.Very-shaky-due-to-wakes.But-keptthe-video-on.Had-to-delete-about2-minutes.And-deleted/a/few-seconds-too-many
The..BOOOM






 Bridge/of/Lions




The/last.2.pics/were/taken/from/under/the/bridge.//It/began/to/rain

Theshower/passed.//Ibeganto/paddle/back.








 There/were/small/sea/turtles/here/Munching/on/growth/on/thewall

 Acrossthe/open/water/to/SaltRun
Wish/they/had/kayaks










If/I/could/afford/a/big/boat,a/catamaran/would/be/nice


I/like/the/see/through/balcony
 Fishing/dock/at/the/Lighthouse/ramp

Three/hours/after/I/left/the/three/dolphinswere/still/in/SaltRun.Just/1/pic.
 Landed/just/after/4

View/through/the/windshield/before/leaving.//4:30
 4:50//Myroom/at/theRegency/inSt.AugustineBeach.$79

Theocean.Blue/between/the/palms
 After/a/microwave/meal/I/left/the/Inn/at/7:04///Crossed/A1A/and/at/public/beach/at/7:08





 The/St.JohnsCounty/beach/joins/the/south/endof/AnastaisaStatePark





 Thebeach/renorishing/project/that/was/in/full/swing/my/last/visit/is/complete
Reddishsand/fromthe/SaltRun/dredging/project.///Alsocomplete.
 White/sand/south/of/the/pier.///Beach/in/front/of/hotels







 It/costs/a/buck/to/walk/on/the/pier//I/splurged



KrazyKayaker

The/blue/is/my/hotel





Left/at/8:35///
I/liked/myroom/Fridgemicro/faster/wifi/than/my/connection/at/home/.Tableanddesk.
Back/to/the/pier/for/stars/and/whatever
Whatever/was/a/nurse/shark/caught/offthe/end/ofthe/pier
The/lighthouse/rotates/every/17seconds///By/mycount///Theflashing/lightsare/carson/thebridge/toVilanoBeach

And/thus/ends/the/day

No comments: