Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Econlockhatchee/River


I/was/not/sure/where/I/wanted/to/kayak/today.///I/had/to/work/to/make/up/for/Monday///Thought

of/Haulover/Canal,but/as/far/as/I/know/the/bridge/is/still/out.//The/scheduled/completion/date
was/yesterday.///I/could/not/find/anything/about/completion,just/the/start/of/the/project.
Heard/from/Luis/of/ViewsFromOurKayak.//Drawbridge/still/closed
Meanwhile,I/still/need/to/get//Duck Stamp,so/I/can/launch/from/Bairs/Cove/while/the
drawbridge/is/out./Without/paying.
I/left/work,thinking/of/going/to/Katie'sLanding,and,paddling/the
Wekiva.//I/got/to/MitchellHammockRoad.///Left,Wekiva,right,Econlockhatchee.
Made/a/right/turn.
Began/paddling/up River,from/SnowHillRoad,at11:35.

 Big/gator,I/thought/it/was/a/log,at/first.





 Flagler/Trail/Bridge.//A/large/group/of/kayakers/was/taking/a/break/as/I/passed.
6-8people.//I/saw/two/paddlers/before/the/bridge,and/two/later.






Empty/nest.//I/have/seen,thanks/to/PamD./that/the/eagle/couple/has/returned.

Would/the/rain/stop/before/I/got/to/the/heavy/stuff?
Not/right/away.
 But,eventually.
Rain,and/clouds,cooled,things/off/a/bit.

Turned/back/at2:42.//At/the/spot/with/a/split/in/the/river/and/high ground/on
the/left.









One(of/many)advantages/of/paddling/up/and/down/the/River.//Things/change,eagles
return/to/nests.///Although/one/flew/away.










One/gator/3/views

I/saw/a/least/10/alligators.///Lots/more/under/the/water,as/evidenced/by/air/bubbles.





I/may/have/been/seeing/a/pair/of/great/blue/herons.///Or,the/same/one,again/and
again.

Red-shouldered-hawk.//Seen,not/photoed;pileated-woodpecker,red-bellied
woodpecker,barred-owl.



Tick-tock,do-do-do-do-do,tick-tock-tick
I/swear,I/was/singing/when/an
eagle/took/flight/from/a/tree.
And,landed.
 Only/to//FlyLikeAnEagle,again.


My/brain..Deer?Standing/on/the/bank.
Brain/pick/up/camera.
Deer/brain....RUN!
Deer/was/smarter

Rain/beginning/to/fall/as/I/landed
at4:50
Nice/to/be/able/to/load/the/kayak/under/the/bridge.

1 comment:

Luis said...

The eagles by themselves are worthy of that paddle. Not to mention spotting a deer at the Econ.