Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Myakka/River/Sunday

First/photo/of/the/day.
Sunday,August,4,2013,Myakka/River/State/Park.
Began/the/morning/walk/at/7:27



Tent/camper.
A/hardier/soul/than/I.
In/the/Old/Prairie/Campground.which/seems/to/have/the/most/vegetation/between/sites/of/the/3/campsites/in/the/Park.
 Rabbit/in/the Palmetto/Ridge/Campground
 Restrooms,like/the/cabins/were/built/by/the/men/of/the/Civilian/Conservation/Corps

 As/is/this/pavilion

 Ranger/Station.
Not/built/during/the/Depression.


More/historic/structures.







Last/two/pics/taken/from/a/USGS/stand.
 Tiny/frog/on/the/right/side/of/the/pipe//Hidden/by/the/vines







 After/45/minutes,I/was/back/at/the/cabin


Thought/I'd/share/some/of/the/detail.

I/spent/my/time/in/the/cabin/in/the/kitchen.
Bigger/windows,and,my/computer/cord/did/not/reach/an/outlet/from/a/bigger/table/in/the/main/room.



I/was/not/sure/if/bedding/would/be/supplied////So,Ibrought/sheets,and,a/pillow.
Did/not/need/them.
Plenty/of/towels.
Only/thing/it/needs/is/a/frying/pan.
I/made/do/with/a/large,shallow,kettle.
 Hide-a-bed.


All/cabin/doors/have/the/Z/brace

There/is/something/appealing/about/being,not/just/in/a/cabin,but,a/log/cabin.
A/real/log/cabin.//Maybe/its/the/historic/aspect,pioneer,history.
Or,perhaps,family/history.
The/first/family/vacation/I/can/remember/was/in/a/log/cabin.
On/Miner Lake,on the/Waupaca/Chain/of/Lakes.///In/1965?
I/say'65/as/the/summer/of/1966/most/of/the family/went/to/D.C./for/Uncle/Jim's/wedding.
If/any/of/the/family/thinks/otherwise,let/me/know.///In/1965,Iwas5.//Don't/think/we/had/the/Boo/Canoe,yet.
We/did/have/innertubes/and/big/square/styrofoam/rafts.
Early/paddle/boards.
I/have/seen/photos/from/earlier/vacations/in/Door/County,but,I/don't/remember/those.





Loaded/up/at/10:06.
Check/out/is/11:00.
Took/the/trash/to/a/dumpster/at/Palmetto/Ridge,then/to/the/Ranger/Station/to/return/the/key.
 Ranger/Station
I/may/have/checked/out/but/did/not/leave.///Drove/to/the/Outpost,dropped/off/the/kayak.
 Cattle/egret
Left/the/car/at/the/Nature/Trail/parking/area
Near/the/bridge,more/shade/than/parking/at/the/pull off/where/I/was/Friday.//Which/is/at/the/other/end/of/the/bridge.

2/mile/bike/back/to/the/Outpost

Underway/at/11:19

Upper/Myakka/Lake
Over/the/dam//Far/underwater...well,foot/or/two.





The/high/water/made/it/a/challenge/to/find/the/proper/channel.
I/tried/to/go/where/it/was/widest/and/had/a/steady/flow.///It/worked.////Mostly


 The/power/lines/are/about/half/way/to/the/bridge
Cattle/egret

Snowy/egret.

Canopy/walkway/tower.//Good/landmark///Earlier/my/follow/the/widest/channel/theory/failed.////Took/me/to/the/Park/Road.///Not/where/I/needed/to/be.////I/located/the/correct/channel.



 Hidden/ibis/////Lots/of/hidden/wildlife.///This/is/the/worst/time/of/year/to/see/wildlife,and/the/flood waters
make/it/more/difficult
I/saw/the/bridge///There/are/two/channels///I/knew/one/is/straight/shot///The/other,winds/about///I/took/the/
winding/one.


 R'oh,there's/the/tower///Must/have/zigged/where/Ishould/have/zagged.
I/figured/out/the/correct/course////Again


 Baby/moorhens
Landed/at/12:42
 To/the/car
Road/bike/back/at/the/Outpost///Where/once/again/I/took/advantage/of/the/wifi
 I/had/not/yet/taken/advantage/of/my/trail/bike.
Until/now







The/wood/bridge.is/part/of/a/hiking/trail//No/bikes/allowed.



Ranch/foreman's/homestead




This/post/was/away/from/the/others///Nothing/nearby/to/suggest/what/it/may/mark.


 A/short/tour//30/minutes
The/Visitor/Center/was/a/horse/barn.

Good/to/see/stained/glass/on/Sunday.//Istopped/in/the/Visitor/Center/to/see/if/there/was/more/information/about/the/markers/on Ranch/House/Road/Nope.
 None/at/the/Ranger/Station,either.//They said/lookintheInfo/Center/Oh.well.///
Out/of/the/Park,it/is/aright/turn/to/I-75,and/home.
But,the/deer/were/on/the/left.
I/want/to/go/back/in/October/when/the/water/recedes.///Booked/every/weekend/to/April/20///
Which/is/now/taken///As/I/will/spend/Easter/at/Myakka/River/State/Park.///Hopefully,the/River/will/not/be
too/low

No comments: