Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 1, 2013

CedarKey/LaborDayWeekend/Sunday

View/from/Unit/331,Park Place,7:07AM.

A/bit/later,those/clouds/produced/rain.//Sideways/rain,blowing/unto/the/balcony and
pelting/the sliding/glass door.
 It/stopped.//On/the/water just/before9.
Wanted/to/paddle to/Seahorse Key,but,there were/storm clouds/that direction.
Not/the best/morning/fora/1.5/mile/open water/paddle.//Set course/east for
the/Number2/Channel.//Dog Island/in the/distance.
 Considered paddling/to/the/other side/of/the wreck,but/the tide/would be/even higher,
later.//So/off/to/Cemetery Point.

With/a/stop at/my/black crowned/night heron/spot.
 Just/a/feather
A/secret/spot/should/be/hard/to find.


Posts/at/the/inland Marina,guaranteed/pelican perch





The/nearby wrecks/often yield/snowy egrets.



Able to/paddle close/to/the/boardwalk,an,cemetery beyond.

I/can always/get close/to the/overlook/at/the/end of/the boardwalk.//As can/dolphins,but,
not/this morning.//I/did/see/a/swirl/near/the/kayak.//Dorsal fin,grey body.//Small shark.
 Too close.
I/paddled/around/the/little/islands/just/before/the/Number3/Bridge.//Failed/to/photo,
blue heron,snowy egret,blackcrownednightheron.//Ominous skies/in the/direction/of/the
bridge/and/beyond.//I/turned/back





Plenty/of/water/over/the/wreck/in/the/channel.//So/much/so,a/powerboat/was
in/the/oyseterbar/covered/area.Poling.//I/went/in/search/of/spoonbills

Found them






Landed/at/11:45.//Left/the/kayak/under/a/palm/tree/on/the/beach----After/24/years
in/Florida,its/still/nice/to/write/that,downloading/photos/on/the/balcony/at/noon
 Nice/to/take/a/lunch/break/with/modern/conveniences.//A/cold/steak/sandwich/was
transformed/into/grilled/steakandcheese,a/bottle/of/water/into/beer.
Back/on/the/water/at1:30

I/was/thinking,again,of/heading/to/Seahorse/Key,but,once/again/conditions
had/me/going/the/opposite/direction.//This/time,past/the/Number2
Channel



Dolphins

Off/of/Scale/Key


 Bald/eagle/nest
Salt marsh











I/landed.






Something/about/driftwood.....



Back/in/the/kayak

Back/the/way/I/came///Into/the/wind.


 Typical/Floridans.//Emptynesters//Hopefully,not/for/long.







 4:58,approaching/the beach.
5:29,on/the balcony.//This/time,I/did/not leave/the kayak/on the/beach.//Park Place/has
a/kayak rack.//Which/is/great for/the back.//Lower than/my car.

Dinner.//Actually,leftovers/for/Labor Day/breakfast.//I/had/the/first Italian/on/a
bun.
 Bike ride

Rode/past/where/I/had been,Saturday.
Past/the/airfield




Back"home"

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Beautiful photos, but you need to eat more vegetables.

Dave said...

Whaddya/mean,I/had/beans.
And,a/nectarine.