Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

St. Johns and Econlockhatchee Rivers

This is the week this month I work Saturday morning.  So, I work a 4 hour day during the week. The last 3 months, I scheduled that day on a Monday, from 5 to 9 PM.  That gave me long weekends. June, Sanibel.  July, Cedar Key.   August, Ocala National Forest.  That also let me avoid afternoon heat, and thunderstorms.   It is still hot, and afternoon storms are still a threat, but this month I went back to the conventional, weekday afternoon off in exchange for working  Saturday morning.

After an inner debate on where to go I made my way to C.S. Lee Park, on the St. Johns River.
 Began paddling up the St. Johns at 1:58.  After seeing an interesting conversation at a picnic shelter.  Two Florida Fish and Wildlife officers on one side of a picnic table.  Two young men on the other. Hands behind their backs. In handcuffs.  What happened?  I have no idea.  One of the officers came to the FWC airboat as I was launching.  "Glad I brought my life jacket and whistle today"
Snowy egret under the Highway 46 Bridge.

The St. Johns was wide, windy, and deep.
 And shallow, where the River floods pasture.
Great egret.  There were many great egrets, great blue herons, ibis, blue herons, tri colored herons and more.  But, the St. Johns is so wide, and the wading area expansive, I got very few pictures.  My main goal was to find the mouth of the Econlockhatchee.  Not easy on a River full of twists, turns, oxbows, and dead ends. map
 Never did find the mouth, but, somehow, I got on the Econ.  That happens when you paddle over submerged fences.



The  wind, out of the east, was mostly at my back on the Econ. It pushed me, up River.
 Turkeys




Moss draped oaks add beauty.

And, block the wind.

Only gator picture of the afternoon. Saw 3. And 2 bald eagles. Or, the same one,twice.

Turned around at 4:27





 Little Big Econ State Forest


 I counted 10 turkeys.



 Finally got an eagle photo









The above island is  just south side of the Econ's mouth.  Hopefully I will read this before my next visit. Of course, the Rivers will be lower, so it may not look the same.
The vast St. Johns River.



Grazing eagle? It is in a pasture.


 My destination
Zoom

Rain in Volusia County
Sun in Seminole County

 Landed at 6:45. Saw just 3 boats, No airboats, other than the cops at the start. And that was beached.

Stopped at Publix.   Got home, no wallet.  I must have put it in a pocket with a big hole.
Back to Publix.  Did anyone find a wallet?  David? Yes. The nice bus river found it.

Nice to know there are good people.

1 comment:

Luis said...

Not bad for a mid week paddle. No...I take that back. Not bad for a paddle at any day of the week. This section of the Econ is a very nice one.