Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Alexander Creek

Last night, a paddler posted a question on the Church of the Double Bladed Paddle facebook page. Where to paddle in Lake County.   I answered, Alexander Creek.  In the Ocala National Forest.  Key word, "National'.  As in Federal.   As in closed.  All the Recreation Areas in the Forest are shut down. So, no launching at Alexander Springs.   So, I'd launch from the Lake County 445 bridge.
 Eagle from the shore
And kayak. Underway at 9:52

Should have thought of this with the bald eagle on the Mud River, Saturday.
Zoom by video



 There is a green heron on the eel grass, above. My 2nd new old camera can't get here enough.


Anhinga

Limpkin







Near empty Alexander Springs  But for the kayak.  Which I thought might belong to a staff member. I saw a guy in a golf cart when I drove past the land entrance.  Later, I saw the kayaker. Not an employee.  A Republican.  They don't believe in regulation.  As in, don't go beyond the rope line.

With no one, except trespassers, in the Spring for two weeks, the Creek is very clear.  No one walking, stirring up the bottom.
















 The eagle was gone.  I went down stream, past the bridge.





 Camera is doing psychedelia, as well as the white out.


 Landed at 12:20.  Short paddle, after 7.5 hours Saturday.
Packer game was on the radio as I drove home. And a deer dashed across 445. I expected to watch it, but apparently the Buccaneers had a late sellout, and averted the  blackout.  So, I listened to Wayne and Larry over the internet.

Four day weekend in Cedar Key, starting Friday.  Just got an email.  Camera just shipped. "Guaranteed" to get here Wednesday.  We'll see.  May post a picture or two of me, as I will have a housemate.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice to see "A" tree with changed leaves! ;)

Dave said...

May see more on the "other Wekiva", Friday.