Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Rock Springs Run


Wednesday was the day this month I worked half a day.  So, I was on the Wekiva River, the Orange County Wekiva, not Levy County, at 2 PM



A power boat? What the....., they aren't allowed here.   It was a Park Service vessel

 As I compose on Friday, I think I saw 8-10 other paddlers.  Just two canoes coming down Rock Springs Run from Kings Landing
 










Late October, summer rains have ended, Rock Springs Run is flowing  low and clear.


 The first of 11 deer I would see.






The sideways growing maple,up Run from Big Buck camp, has toppled.









Eastern phoebe?
 Deer behind the trees, center of photo.

 A more visible deer.


The rut is beginning. If you see a buck, look for does, nearby.
 Like junior high kids on opposite sides of the gym.




The dirt area is where a gator's sunny spot.

This alligator choose a shady spot.
 Another buck


I waited it to raise its head.

He finally moved after I spread my fingers, put my hands on my head, antler style. That got it to bound away. Guess we know who the dominant male is.





Just two humans on the down Run paddle. Two guys fishing from the the bank, after hiking from the 
Sand Lake trail head.

Limpkins


 Black crowned night heron


Belted kingfisher





 Landed at 6:50.
Sunset over Wekiwa Springs.
I may go back. tomorrow, Saturday, after work.  May be crowded at first, but the down stream paddle will be nice.  And clean, as Joanne, Pam, and the other volunteers picked up trash today.  When you see the volunteers, thank them.  And pick up a can or left foot sandal, yourself.

No comments: