Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Econlockhatchee River

Paddling friends Joanne and Pam kayaked the Econ the other day. Said it was low. Figured I should go before it got lower.
 Underway  at 12:30 from Snow Hill Road.  Worked in the morning.





Pam posted she saw more turtles on the Econ than she had ever seen.  They were still out and about.












Only paddlers I saw all afternoon was a large group taking a break near the Flagler Trail bridge.



Limpkin in the shadow of an eagle nest. Figuratively speaking.  Overcast.

Blue heron, flight, and snowy egret.

No label required


 I was thinking of paddling up River for two hours, or until I reached a campsite on the right bank. I heard voices. Maybe from the campsite, although people often fish from the bank nearby.  It was 2:20, 10 minutes short of two hours. I turned around.



Big gator

 High, sandy banks are a change from the typical no bank cypress swamp in Central Florida


 Rain and obstacles


What do a young eagle's parents put on the stereo when the youngster leaves the nest?
 Already Gone of course








Back to Snow Hill Rd. at 4:15.   Kept going.

Deluxe deer stand?
 There was a wood stork with the fuzzy great egret

 Landed at 4:40
Nice to have covered parking. Hardest rain of the afternoon as I put the kayak on the roof.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wonderful pic of heron in flight, what a spread!!! :)
still so tannin-rich, but so glad there are not a ga-zillion dead fish floating as there were last time I was there ;)
must mention that it sent shivers down my spine when I saw you car parked under that overpass... brought back some seriously-repressed memories of 'the day the keys were forgotten' ;) !!! looks like you had a nice time - thanks for sharing :D

Dave said...

Oh, it wasn't that bad. An extra hour or so in the August heat, the stench of hundreds of dead catfish....maybe it was that bad.