Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sanibel/Sunday


I/know/what/you/are/thinking.//That's/the/best/you/could/do/for/the
opening/photo?
 Launched/from/Wildlife Drive/in/the/DingDarlingNationalWildlifeRefuge/just/before/9:30.
Very/windy.//A/peek/at/the/"lake",then/I/turned/back.
 Stayed/in/the/protected/waters/along/Wildlife Drive
Where/I/saw/the/first/bird/of/the/morning.//Just/inside/the/No/Motor/Zone//Fitting



Low/tide.///Entrance/to/my/secret/spoonbill/spot.//Unable/to/see/what/might/be/further/in.

The/spoonbills/were/in/the/open/area//Past/the/fishing/platform,before/the/observation/tower.





Back/into/the/mangrove/narrows/next/to/Wildlife Drive
 It/becomes/to/narrow.//I/turned/around.






And,a/tricolored/heron




 Checked/out/the"lake"again.
 Too/windy/to/spend/much/time.
Landed/at/10:15//Breakfast,at/the/Over Easy/Cafe,was/set/for/11.
I/thought/I/might/have/to/kill/some/time/at/the/Visitor Center.
Instead,a/passing/biker/struck/up/a/conversation/about/my/kayak/and
the/weekend's/Paddling Festival.//Which/had/none/of/its/programs/in/the/Refuge.
Good/for/me.//I/just/saw/2/kayakers,one/in/a/Calusa/Blueway/Festival/T-shirt.
 I/think/this/is/the/same/gator/we/saw/Saturday.
Had/to/wait/for/a/table/at/the/OverEasyCafe.//I/took/pictures.
 Eventually,we/were/seated.//Next/to/a/table/occupied/by/an/acquaintance/of/Jackie's.
Small world.
I/had/the/Big Bertha/skillet.//Eggs,over easy/of course.//Like/getting/the/beer/named/after/the
tavern/you/are/visiting.
 Pete's/meal
Jackie,crab/omelet.Great shirt.
I/had/two/bikes.//We/went/to/Billy's/to/rent/a/third.///Years/ago/I/was/walking/back/from/Captiva.
With/a/flat.//The/Billy's/Bike Shop/van/gave/me/a/ride./So,it/was/good/to/pay/them/back.
 Good/to/be/on/MiddleGulfDrive.///Away from/the/Periwinkle/traffic.
Showed/Pete/and Jackie/the old/cemetery.

To/GulfsidePark


I/had/not/seen/the/Lighthouse,other/than/from/the/Causeway,so/off/we/pedaled.












To/get/the/photos/of/the/Lighthouse/buildings,we had/to/go around/the/point.///That/is
where/the////dolphins/frocklicked

 A/stop/at/Pinocchio's.///Sticking/with/getting/something/named/for/a/place,I/licked/Sanibel
Crunch
FasionableJackie.//Mintchocchip/matches/her/outfit.//Green hat/and socks,too.
 She/has influenced/Pete.//Who/already/finished/the/SanibelCrunch/atop/the/mango.
A/place/we/have/stayed/at/before.

Ospreyandpelican/at/the/bridge/over/the/canal.//Also/a/hawk.

Pileatedwoodpecker/attheDairyQueen.///Not/the/bald eagle/that/is/sometimes/there.
 Rode/back/on/Periwinkle.//Part/of/the/path/has/a/nice/buffer/from/the/road.
Pete/took/a/dip/from/the/causeway.
 I/figured/my/yoga/teaching,Mini/driving,big/sister/who/found/an/ashram/when/we/were
in/the/Ocala/Nat'lForest/inFeburary,would/appreciate this.


Back/at/the/condo.///Full/of/typical/Florida pictures.//Pelicans,shells,sandals,
whatnot.///None/as/pretty/as/the/iconic/sunburst/chairs,at/the/Memorial Union
at/the/UniversityofWisconsin.

A/fine/weekend.///I'll/be back/in/39days.

No comments: