Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Lakes Maitland, Nina and Minnehaha

A short, but bird full, paddle on the local lakes this morning.
 Underway at 8:37.
 The usual anhingas
Wood ducks

Pie billed grebe






Great egrets at the canal entrance

 
 





 Moor hens


Coots




 
 Now a picture of an anhinga atop a Christmas tree would really be special.
 
 Jingle bells





As I came out of the canal, back to Lake Maitland, I was thinking of paddling to Dog Island.  To see if the large number of birds I saw a few weeks ago would be there.  Or, maybe they would be on the west side of the Lake where I saw lots of herons and egrets last week.





Today, they were just outside the canal.  A large flock of cormorants beating the water with their wings.  Followed by tens of great egrets and great blue herons looking for the fish that escaped the cormorants. A tricolored heron.  Osprey calling overhead.


 Feeding frenzy!





 

 
 



 I hung out with the flocks from the end of the canal, across the Lake,
(the narrow bay out from Fort Maitland Park), along the east shore, to the dock at the boat ramp.
Where I landed at 10:15.
 
My next stop, Sanibel Island, has been challenged.  By Cedar Key sunsets and Maitland birds.

No comments: