Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Chassahowitzka


Launched from the Chassahowitzka Campground at 9:40. $5 parking. 
On past fall trips, I have seen manatees in the shade on the opposite side of the ramp and dock.
 
Helps to know where to look.


 

 
Down the Chass

 

 

 

Pie billed grebe

 

I saw something furry in a tree and thought, have monkeys invaded Chassahowitzka?

No,  raccoons.

Meanwhile, across the River

 
 

 

 

 

 

Everything so far was before I reached the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge
The sign that opens this Tale.  It was 10:50.

 
 Just like I know manatees like the shade on the other side of the boat ramp, I know they also can be found just before Crawford Creek
 
 Especially when food is caught on crab trap floats.
 

 
 Crawford Creek
 
 

 

 

 
Houses, obviously I was out of the Refuge.  And had been for awhile.

The current was too fast and water too shallow to paddle past the houses and check out the springs that are the source of Crawford Creek.
 I turned around.
 

 

 Took a pee stop. Left leg out of the kayak, sinking in the loose bottom.

 











 
 Getting fancy.  Residents used to hang a metal plate for target practice.
 


 


 
 Returning to the Chass
Went back up River

 

 

 

 
 

 
 
 
 The houseboat, which has been here since I have been kayaking the Chass, is falling now into the River.
I have only been coming here since 2005.  In  that time, this sailboat, with its windows blocked, or I should, whited out, has always been moored in the same spot. Not today.

 
 Entering Potter Creek
 

 

 

 
 Stream flow gauge
 

Ruth Spring

 

 
Ruth Springs Run
 
Snapper in Potter Springs

 

 

 

 

Out of Potter Creek, back to the Chassahowitka River

 

 
The shallow, less traveled side of the Chass


 

 

 

Back to the launch were dumb people tried to touch the manatee mother and calf.

I paddled to the beautiful little springs up River of Chassahowitzka Spring.

 


The petters left.  I enjoyed the manatees.

Nose flaps open
Closed. 
I recognize the circle.  I have seen her before.






 
 No manatees were touched during this encounter.
 

But for a hungry child suckling.
Landed at 4:12.  A full day, ended with a breast feeding manatee.  I call that a good day.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

What a beautiful day! there is still "more to come" but so far no airboats. The last time I went to the Chaz one pesky airboat pretty much spoiled the day for wildlife viewing, and I haven't gone back. May need to rethink that.

Dave said...

Joanne, in an alternative universe, you live on the Gulf Coast. Paddled the Wekiva River once. Swore you would never return due to the tree jumpers, drunks, and over crowded conditions.

Luis said...

That was a good day, a very good day, indeed. I need to discipline myself to be able to do what you do and explore more around places like the Chaz. Great post!!!!!