Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Round Island Park, Indian River, and Blue Cypress Lake

At the historic Desert Inn in Yeehaw Junction.  With a new used kayak to take to Big Coppitt Key. Next weekend.
 After watching my great niece handle my Wilderness Systems Pungo kayak, both alone, and with her Mom and Omi (Grammy), I thought a kayak would be the perfect gift for Elena and Aaron's new waterfront home on Big Coppitt Key.  A week after my 4th of July visit, I found a used one at a shop in Vero Beach
 Took it for a test paddle at Round Island Park








 No leaks











 Paddled for about 90 minutes on the Indian River
 Walked about the boardwalk and trails in the Park





 3 story tower

















 Round Island Park has a River section, and an Ocean section.





 I swam





 Next stop, Middleton's Fish Camp, Blue Cypress Lake












 I have read about Blue Cypress Lake since I bought my first kayak in 2005









A bit like Lake Norris










 A 75 minute paddle






 In all the years I have taken the Turnpike to and from the Keys, I think I stopped in Yehaw Junction once.  For gas.  This time, coming in on Highway 60, I stopped
 Good Food Bar?  I'm in!




 If you think Yehaw Junction is a funny name, the junction of Highways 60 and 441 used to be called Jackass Crossing.  The name was changed to make it less offensive to traveling tourists with the opening of the Turnpike in the 1950's.  Thanks to Florida Rambler for that historic tidbit.








The Desert Inn is one of those classic Florida locales.  I am glad I went.  It closed in 2018.  Efforts were underway when a semi ran into it in December, 2019.  A truck carrying orange juice.  You can't make this stuff up.
https://lakeokeechobeenews.com/community-news/truck-crashes-into-historic-desert-inn-in-yeehaw-junction/

No comments: