Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Weeki Wachee

Launching from Rogers Park, relatively late.  8:57 AM
First stop, Hospital Hole



Snapper were present
And, manatees







Sheepshead. Vertical strips























Continued up the Weeki Wachee













This is new to me.  At one of the two landings that have been closed for over a dozen years due to trash and vandalism. New thing is the white object.  Kayak landing?  Or, more likely for the Hernando County Sheriff, who patrols the river on a jet ski.








Turn around at 11:44.  Which gave me plenty of time to get back to Rogers Park at 3 to met my niece, Abby, and her friend, Emily.




Weeki Wachee State Park tour boat. Hopefully, I was not the most exciting thing they saw.



I think Dr. Cannon would be great for the Springs Coast Education Center.


















I wonder it this is the infamous racoon that has boarded kayaks.  Because stupid people feed it.














Snack bar pontoon. Business was slow.  Which was good for me.


Pontoon at Hospital Hole.  Divers in the water.  I was glad I had it to myself in the morning.


Landed at 1:45.  Down river is much faster than up.
I have never sat on the beach at Rogers Park.  Actually, a picnic table on the beach.
Waiting for Abby and Emily.  I took their kayaks off the car.  Of course, as soon as I did, a call from Abby.  Delays meant they would not arrive until 5 PM.  I said that still was enough time to see manatees at Hospital Hole.  And, I did not want to put 3 kayaks back on the car by myself.


We were on the water at 5:14
And were rewarded with manatees at Hospital Hole.  http://floridacaves.com/hhole.htm

Abby and Emily
Landed at 5:42
Dinner across the River at the Upper Deck.  Able to eat outside.  Emily treat us.  Thank you again.

No comments: