Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Rainbow River


One of the best views in Florida.  Rainbow Springs State Park
On the water at 10:14.  Blue Run of Dunnellon Park was almost full.  On a Wednesday.  After Labor Day. Guess I'm not the only one who is not working.

I realized I forgot my State Park Pass.  Went back to get it. 

 Launch 2, 10:24.




Turtles and anhingas as I paddled up the Rainbow



Tri colored heron
Blue heron


Otters

Wood ducks

Limpkin













State Park tube takeout.




K.P. Hole Park

Rainbow Swamp Springs Run
An egotistical time share mogul bought the land and named the spring after himself.  What kind of asshole does that?


The above was not the code to unlock the gate.




Back on the River













Arriving at Rainbow Springs State Park








Hand over the side photos







Landed at the Park at 1:33.
Small springs

Waterfall is man made






It appears to me that the hill has been altered.  Swales put in, to retain runoff. Or, maybe I am imagining things.  The hill is artificial.  Built up as phosphate was mined in the area in the 19th Century.
The former kiddy swim area, below.


After lunch, I was back in the kayak
More hand over the side photos.









Looking for a place to get out of the kayak
To mucky, here.

2nd try, not as mucky.  Began to snorkel down the Rainbow River








































A spring





Not sure if that is my, or a turtle's shadow.





























Another spring.


Final of 3 springs I saw. I could feel the discharge from all 3.  As well as the cooler temperature of the 72 degree water emerging from the river bed.

I was in the water nearly an hour,








Otters, again











Wood ducks







The pagoda is a landmark for me. Has been there as long as I have been kayaking the Rainbow. Over 15 years.







I see more otters on the Rainbow River than any place I paddle.

I have an affinity for the Tomahawk Lodge.  Based on many years spent at Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin.



Another otter





Still more otters




Only alligator of the day















Swampy's.   Would have like to dined, but I am in frugal mode.  Not to mention, Covid.
People were seated inside.



Landed at 5:56
Time for a ride on the Dunnellon Trail 


One trail head.




Bridge over the Withlacoochee River


The other trail head. It is only 2.4 miles.














Turnoff to Blue Run of Dunnellon Park

2 comments:

Betty Lynch said...

Very nice update Dave, do you feel refreshed after your vacation?

Dave said...

Getting laid off the week before the trip makes things complicated.