Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, September 25, 2020

Rock Springs Run


 Deer, as I left Kelly Park, where I paid to launch my kayak, on my way to the Camp Joy launch site





On the water at 9:14.   Note on access.  When this site first opened up to public access a couple years ago, there was a padlock on the gate.  You were given the combination. Then, a keypad.  Now, they send a park employee to unlock it for you.  Because too many people were passing on the gate code. 
Paddling past the "new" cabin on Rock Springs Run


Rock Springs Run was much darker than usual. Nearing the end of the rainy season.



I had to portage a log to get here. Hoped that would deter others. It did not




PRIVATE in big white letters. New, to me.  Because people are stupid.  If they would just stay in their kayaks......









The downed log



No wind to move this guy's paddles.
Maybe the King's Landing folks are getting ready to run shuttles. They have not, due to Covid-19.
















A fine morning for alligators


Below is the point where people who launch at King's Landing, are supposed to turn back.  Unless they arranged their own shuttle.  




























Fresh saw marks










More clearing of the Run
I decided to go down the Run to the fallen pine I encountered, Tuesday.  Had it been cleared?


The big pine was cut away.  Rock Springs Run is clear for the first time since March.
This is just above the 4 mile sign.  I turned around.  I had seen no one since the Blue Band Turnaround, at the 2 mile mark








A good day for turtles, too.








Softshell turtle. 










The cover boys.  Different photo









Back to the Blue Band Turnaround









A kayaker towing tubes up the Run from King's Landing.  Used to be, very few people made the right turn out of the King's Landing canal. They missed the best part of the Run. But, now, everybody does.
Thankfully, word of the Camp Joy launch site has not got out to the masses.
Landed at 2:45
Sweet gum. They look a lot like maples. Turn red in the fall. Yes, leaves do turn color in Florida.



The video should be with the next deer sighting.


The deer, and I were the only ones at Camp Joy. There had been 3 guys who launched just before me.  Their cars were gone. 
Down the steps to Rock Springs in Kelly Park
No swimming, Covid-19.  Meant the Park was almost empty





Empty, except for wildlife











Back to the Apopka Station of the West Orange Trail.  I was also here, Thursday.a








Last week, after pedaling the West Orange Trail for the first time in 16 years, I found my running and biking log.  Last 2 entries for the West Orange Trial say, "Gilliam"  It was where I would turn around.


What's this?  Wisconsin?

Today, I turned around at Apopka Vinland Road
Toda


This is where I turned around, Thursday.  Keene and Clarcona.





The Carfish Place of Apopka. It has been around as long as me, in Florida.  Never been.  When I have income....

$10? I need to check it out
View from the over pass. I guess it is needed.



An 8.6 mile ride, according to Google Maps

No comments: