Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, September 21, 2020

Weeki Waccee

With a new paddle.

The Weeki Wachee was not the first choice for my 200th Consecutive Day Kayaking.   But, seas were rough on both coasts.  Lots of rivers are at, or near, flood stage.  The short, spring fed Weeki Wachee is well protected from wind.  But, it is crowded.  I was hoping to wait for the weather to get a bit cooler to avoid crowds, even on a Monday.   But, as weather limited my options, I made the 90 mile drive to Rogers Park.
On the Weeki Wachee River just before 9.  A bit of a delay as the pay for parking machine was not working.  The park worker emptying the trash said he called, and suggested I just leave a 'Pay Machine Broken" note on my dash.  I did.


Paddling up the Weeki Wachee


Joined by a manatee trio










 

















First time I recall seeing kayaks on the Springs Coast Education Center lift thingy.  Helps that I was here on a school day.



Finished the 6 mile upstream paddle at 11:50.   It did get busy. 40-50 people





The kayaks that had been on the lift, were now in the water.





People were not staying in their vessels.







Streaming, take 1







Streaming, final cut













I had another glimpse of a real manatee.  Too many people near it.  I had my earlier encounter, alone, so I was good.












Landed at 1:55.  No visit to the Mud River or Salt Springs on this windy day.
Bike ride on the Van Fleet Trail
Saw three deer, unable to get any photos.



Saw 3 more deer




4 miles,  I turned around.  Slowly increasing my distance. 18 years ago I biked the entire 29 mile trail.  Then biked 29 miles back to my car. Did that twice, I think.















The 29 mile mark







No comments: