Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Bulow Creek, Gamble Rogers Saturday Jan 23 2021

Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park, where I planned to launch my kayak, does not open until 9 AM.  So, I made my first visit to the Fairchild Oak, in nearby Bulow Creek State Park. 






Nearby is a short trail to a scenic creek












Into the car, Dirt road into Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park


I left the kayak, and drove to Smith Landing, off the Halifax River in North Peninsula State Park
Bike back to the kayak at Bulow Plantation Ruins
Halifax River 








Not a bad ride on the Ormond Scenic Loop.  3rd time I have done a car bike shuttle here.  As mentioned in those posts, the first time I was on the Loop may have been in 1994.  Running in the Paul DeBryun 30K. I may have biked it prior to then.




Back in Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park.




On Bulow Creek at 11:08













A distant bald eagle

-



































Old pilings ---------------------------------







Highbridge Road Drawbridge.  Almost back to where I started.  About  a6 mile paddle. After a 6 mile bike ride.









On the Halifax River

I paddled past Smith Creek.  Had to retrace my strokes


Landed at 2:15

At 3:10, I was back at Bulow Plantation Ruins
Boat slips from the 1830's.  When John Audubon visited.  












Ruins of the largest sugar mill in Florida
Destroyed in the Seminole War of 1836.












Ancient canoe and other artifacts






Driving along the Atlantic

Indian blanket flowers 
On the Intracostal Waterway side of Gamble Rogers Memorial State Recreation Area





Ocean side.   Where Mr. Rogers, a Florida folk singer, drowned trying to rescue a swimmer struggling in the surg. 



Back on the Intracostal side-++++++++














My campsite.  Gamble Rogers has to camp grounds.   One is on the Atlantic.  Half of the sites are a dune line from the beach.  When I saw one was available, I grabbed it.  I had been here once before.  In my tent.

The sites are close together.   I had the last site, so I only had one neighbor



Boardwalk repair




















No comments: