Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Myakka River

Deep Hole


Began the day at 7:10 am with a bike ride to the Canopy Walkway.



The last two times I was here, I had to walk back down after crossing the bridge. The tall tower was closed. Covid.


It was nice to be back on top of the tower.




 

Back on the ground








Back on the bike


My famous oatmeal and bratwurst breakfast
I had picked up my Wilderness Permit at the end of the morning ride, climb, and walk. On Saturday, none were available when I arrived at Myakka River State Park. Only 30 permits a day are given out.
On the River, from the Park Road Bridge, at 10:00.























In June, this retaining wall was underwater.











The Wilderness Preserve begins south of Highway 72


It was a good morning for  black crowned night herons













White pelicans on the north end of Lower Myakka Lake









































The relatively shallow River meant a lot of alligators at Deep Hole.  Which is just what it sounds like,  A sinkhole, in the Lake.  At the southern end





















Bald eagle
















No way to avoid alligators as Lower Myakka Lake narrowed back into the Myakka River

















































Landed at 2:36.  Thought about getting some gator bites, or gator stew at the concession.  But the land portion of the Park was waaaayyyy to crowded for me.  So, I headed home.



No comments: