Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 9, 2021

St. Johns River+


 

A two part Tale

Launched from C.S. Lee Park on the St. Johns River just after 9.  A cold 48 degrees. Almost brought gloves.  But, I figured, it will warm up. 








The plan was to paddle to, then up, the Econlockhatchee River.  After 3 hours, turn around.











I always have a hard time finding the mouth of the Econ.  The St. Johns is wide, with a braided channel. It is hard, at least for me, to tell what is a dead end and what is the mouth of the Econlockhatchee River.


A strong north wind blew me up the St. Johns.  The pop! pop! of duck hunters filled the air.  At 10:30, I said, I am way past the Econ.  I  was in Puzzle Lake.  I turned around.









Paddling into the north wind.  Should have brought gloves.  It did warm up.  To 52. But felt much colder.


Never found the Econ. Did not make an effort on the way back.  Too windy to explore.  Landed at 11:45
Ending Part I


Part II began from the French Avenue ramp, at Blue Springs State Park at 1:30



I had hoped to see bald eagles on the St. Johns and the Econ.  I did not. Which is one reason I chose to go the Blue Spring. Which can be a good place to see bald eagles.  Manatees, are a given.






























Lots of wildlife in Snake Creek.  And, no wind. It was not as bad on the River as it had been on Puzzle Lake.














Close up of a great blue heron's foot.





Bill Durkin, right, of Adventures in Florida, leads a tour.  I told his guests they had the best guide in Florida.  This was after Bill told be they saw 8 small alligators.  I had not seen any.










 
If you saw 2020, why didn't you sound the alarm?




The island across from French Ave is a good place to see manatees.



-------

 

Home built houseboat.



Manatee.  
These got posted out of order.  It was in the section of the St. Johns between Snake Creek and the main channel.  Another place where manatees are often seen.


Not an eagle

Red shouldered hawk










Landed at 4:25
Went into Blue Springs State Park.  The sign at the Ranger Station said there were 408 manatees in the Spring and Spring Run in the morning.





















Still a lot, late in the afternoon.
























No comments: