Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Turkey Creek




I worked until 1:00 PM, Wed., Oct. 24, 2007, then went kayaking. I wanted to go to Alexander Creek and Spring, to get quality underwater pics after Sunday's turbid conditions at Blue Springs. Thanks to weather.com, I was able to see the forecast for Ocala, near Alexander called for a 60% chance of rain, dropping to 50% later in the afternoon. On the other hand, the forecast for Palm Bay, home of Turkey Creek was a 30% chance of rain until 3, then increasing to 50%. My decision was clinched just before leaving work when the current weather in Ocala showed rain. If my employer sees this, it is easy to monitor the weather while on hold.




Palm Bay, Florida, is on the Indian River, south of Melbourne, north of Vero Beach, in Brevard County. I launched from Goode Park, at the bottom of the above map. Map cut and pasted from the Friends of Turkey Creek website. This City of Palm Bay facility has a concrete, one boat ramp, plenty of parking, a fishing pier, and restrooms. It can be crowded on weekends. Today, one other car in the lot, one woman standing on the pier. She did not have a pole, she was enjoying the view of two manatees just off the ramp. Turkey Creek is a major manatee hangout, I would have to review my trip reports, but if I have failed to see seacows here, it can't be more than once. After observing the manatees for a bit, I headed upstream, figuring I'd see more.



This is a short paddle. It only takes an hour to reach the end, a dam/water control structure. The first half hour passes a few homes, and low vegetation- small trees, bushes, I'm no botanist, but, its not very impressive. Still, water brings birds like these ibis on someone's lawn. After 30 minutes, oh boy, the scenery changes. Past the Port Malabar Ave, Bridge, the shore is lined with majestic sabal palms and gnarled live oaks. Turtles occupy every log, and sandy bluffs tower above the creek. Downstream of the dam, is the Turkey Creek Sanctuary, another Palm Bay City park, with a mile of boardwalk and other trails .
through 100 acres of river front habitat. Take a virtual stroll. I wanted to have a picture of a gopher tortoise, but they were to fast, turning the fable on its head. I spent 45 minutes on land, then got back in the yak. A paddle back to the dam. looking for manatees and/or alligators. None that I saw, but did get a green heron photo.



One unpleasant note. A large amount of trash was in the Creek, near the Sanctuary. Bottles, shoes, a football. I notice similar debris my last visit. I believe this happens after heavy rain, and the gates to the water control structure are opened, and everything that as fallen into a large drainage area ends up here. But soon I was past the trash, passing the bluffs and turtles. I kept eyes and ears open for manatees, but did not spot any as I moved downstream. Turkey Creek has a couple of alternate channels, one takes the paddler past houses, the other, narrow route does not. I took the latter.



The sky grew dark, the 50% rain hour arrived. I hoped a patch of blue sky would increase, but sprinkles began, just as I saw two small alligators. All right! I might get the trifecta-Manatee, Alligator and Dolphin on one paddle.



I have seen dolphins before in the Palm Bay portion of the Creek. The rain increased, thunder rumbled as I passed under the railroad bridge, then U.S. 1 into the Bay. The only other boat I saw all day, two fishermen in a canoe, paddled hard to get out of the rain. I briefly entered the Indian River before reversing course. As I did, a shape broke the surface of the water in the distance. Dolphin ? I waited for it to resurface, but it did not. So, I did not have a confirmed sighting, and therefor, no trifecta.



I made my way back to Goode Park as the sky cleared, rain stopped. Several manatees were near the ramp and dock, others dispersed further out. I tried to get pictures, but due to sunset, dark water and short appearances on the surface, have none worth sharing. I prepared to land, but stayed out as a couple manatees showed interest in the yak, following me like big dogs. One rolled over a few times next to me, then swum below, just below. I let my open hand glide across its back as it passed.


I did get some good wingspread photos. Osprey taking off. Great Egret landing. Anhinga drying.





No comments: