Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ponce Inlet








As you know, I spent the week of August 2-9 2008 in Duck, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I was not impressed by the kayaking. The best of the week was near the Currituck Lighthouse. Today, August 17, 2008 I kayaked near the Ponce De Leon Lighthouse, in order to compare Florida and North Carolina.






Here is the Tale of the Tape. (Tried to do it side by side, but as soon as I downloaded a photo, it all ran together).







First, Currituck:






Red brick built 1875, 158 feet, $7 Lighthouse only, 1 mile to kayak launch, paddle Curituck Sound, I saw great egrets, gulls, pelicans, Canadian geese.








Now, Ponce:








Red brick, built 1887, 175 feet, $5 Lighthouse and restored keepers quarters
(3) each with different exhibits, additional buildings, including Lens Exhibit Building, kayak launch across street, paddle Halifax River, Ponce Inlet, Atlantic Ocean, I saw great egrets, gulls, pelicans, snowy egrets, great blue heron, sting rays and manatees.







Florida by a TKO.








This was the first time I have launched at Ponce. I visited the Lighthouse years ago. In 2005, I got a good view while paddling nearby Spruce Creek. In 2006, from the opposite side of the Ponce Inlet at New Symrna Beach, I hoped to make it to the Lighthouse but distance and Labor Day Weekend boat traffic prevenrd me from making it.









I was not sure where or if there was a launch site near the Lighthouse. Did some searching on the web last night, but was still uncertain. But if I drove to the Lighthouse I figured I'd find something, and did. As mentioned above, the launch is across the street from the Lighthouse. The launch is free, parking across the street. A snowy egret observed me put in on the Halifax River.








I headed south, behind a mangrove island, to stay out of the main channel of the River. I crossed a channel leading to the River, and entered a mangrove lined waterway.








Which deadended. So, I entered another channel.










Which also dead ended. I got out of the yak to attend to personal hygiene, and had this view of Ponce Inlet. I was at Lighthouse Point Park, which, I later discovered, has $3.50 admission. I also later discovered I could have unloaded the morning coffee at the Lighthouse. While it does not open until 10:00, restrooms near the boat ramp open at 6 am.







I paddled out of the area, talking to a guy sitting in the water with his dog. He said the area was prime manatee territory. I saw none, but made a mental note to return. Here's a view of the Lighthouse from that cove.








I reentered the main body of the Halifax and into Ponce Inlet. The left north side of the inlet has a long jetty, the south New Smyrna Beach side is Smyrna Dunes Park.








East, the Atlantic Ocean.

















I ventured about half way toward the Ocean before turning back. That trip is best suited for a weekday with calmer seas.








If these paddlers read this, they can avoid the $3.50 fee at the Park next time.







Lighthouse from the Inlet.








A manatee surfaced on the north side on the Inlet as I paddled back to the Halifax.







Lighthouse over mangroves.










Back in the Halifax, where this broad section is Slow No Wake.









After paddling a bit, I made a left into a channel which linked the main branch of the River to




another branch- one full of fast moving boats, a couple towing tubers turning just before a Slow No Wake sign. I went the opposite direction, entering a maze of mangroves and oyster shells.


































I took a break at the spot in the top photo. To the south baoters began to gather on the River beach. I recalled seeing a tent city of umbrellas, awnings, and tents when I paddled near here in 2006. All types of craft were in the River today, sail, paddle and power.



Lighthouse across Halifax River.













Zoom.





















I returned to the cove where I had been told manatees were, and saw one. A gentlemen, not the same one I saw earlier, said there were two. If so, they took turns coming up for air after intervals of 45 seconds to 2 minutes. I counted. Like yesterday at Blue Spring, no good pictures.































Which, doesn't keep me from posting one barely visible manatee. Too bad it did not surface in front of this great blue heron.










I paddled back to the launch, this seagull must have been going out, as it is on a green day mark.










Hmmm.. I wonder what gave this Boat Yard the inspiration for its name.










This pelican, along with a snowy and great egret, hung around the landing, hoping a kid fishing would give them a free lunch. I landed, got the yak on the car, and went to the Lighthouse Museum. There had been thunder, and I had not seen anyone on the tower for some time. But I paid my $4.50 (AAA) anyway, to tour the grounds, and if worse came to worse, I'd have a rain check for a future visit. The outlying buildings alone are well worth a visit. Full of history. One building holds several lenses.












Including one from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse that had to me removed because Space Shuttle launches were shaking it severely.








My timing was perfect, I visited all the buildings, looked at the old boats and Cuban exile rafts, walked the nature trail, when the tower reopened. Time to climb.
















On maybe the fourth landing, a sign tells of the lighthouse keeper who died of a heart attack, on the steps, at age 59. That will keep the crowds going to the top down.










I made it.










Made it down as well.









I finished my visit to the Ponce Inlet with clam chowder and a bakers dozen oyster and a draft at the Lighthouse Landing, across from the Lighthouse, next to the launch.




I need to eat a lot more to get a pile of shells as high as the earlier picture.







I have a shorter version of this Tale, with different pictures (mostly) on the Green Wave Forum. http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/trips.asp?op=showlocation&location=161




1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.