Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Wekiva River





I went to Wekiwa Springs State Park this afternoon, Saturday, August 30, 2008. I worked in the morning, so was not on the water until just before 1:00 am. Which was to bad, as it rained almost the entire 5 hours I was on the water. That explains the water spots on the photos. Not just rain affected my photography. The LCD monitor died, so I had no idea what mode I was in or whether the subject was centered, or even if, after pushing the button, I got a photo.






As I shoved off, I asked a canoe wrangler if any manatees will still around. He replied one had been in the Spring early in the morning. I headed down the Wekiva, hoping to see one. The water level has gone down about a foot since last Saturday, but is still very high. The top photo is the Buffalo Tram campsite. Last week, no grass was visible, but you still can't pitch a tent or build a fire.






I paddled downriver two hours, than turned back. I did not see any of the wayward manatees that have taken advantage of the record high water level to visit Wekiwa Spring. Which doesn't mean they were not present. With rain pelting down obscured the chance to see air bubbles, or other sign of submerged manatee. The rain also kept reptiles hidden. No turtles or alligators.






I did see lots of birds. Great numbers of blue herons. Many tricolored herons. Also great egrets, anhingas, limpkins, green herons, belted kingfishers, ibis, yellow crowned night heron, and vultures.





Here are the "best" of the bird photos, limpkin and tri colored heron.


A silver lining on this cloudy day was very few people were on the water. A grand total of 6 boats in five hours. The last two, as I ate some chicken near the confluence of the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run. The first of the two was a small, noisy motor boat. coming down the Run. A few minutes behind, a canoe from Kings Landing. "Must have sucked to be behind that thing", I said. "They were clearing the way " If, by chance the guys in those boats are reading this, thank you. Hard work to clear the Run from post Fay debris on such a rainy day. I did see fresh saw marks.


Just as last week, the Run was swifter than usual. The current felt even more powerful, that was likely due to the fact I had been paddling over 3.5 hours before I started up the Run.

I landed at the almost deserted State Park at 6:20. All the rain sent most people home. Just three other folks were in the Spring. The manatee I saw Thursday about this time, 7 pm, did not make a return visit while I was there. I may visit early tomorrow, just to see if the manatee are still visiting.

No comments: