Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Blackwater Creek, A Tale in Two Parts.





I kayaked Blackwater Creek today, Saturday, April 25, 2009. The "Two Part Tale" is the result of launching in the Seminole State Forest and the Lake Norris Conservation Area.
I had to get a State Forest Use Permit to launch in the Forest. That gave me the combination to unlock the gate at the entrance off State Road 46, just across the Wekiva River. I was in the Creek at 7:40. My first visit since the July 4 weekend. Back then, I was unable to go all the way to the Wekiva, 5 miles downstream. A tree blocked the Creek 90 minutes downstream. Today's paddle was even shorter. 25 minutes before a fallen tree dammed the Creek. So upstream I went, past the launch site.


















After just a few minutes I reached the mass of plants in the top photo. I pushed through it. And another. When I got to the third vegetative blockage, I turned back. I did not even make it to Moccasin Spring.
Saw some wood ducks, a raccoon, and limpkins.




















A blocked Creek is the price you pay for paddling a truly wild waterway. I landed, after only an hour, sat at the launch site picnic table, enjoying the view, pondering what to do.
I decided to go to the Lake Norris Conservation Area, about 15 miles away, and paddle Blackwater Creek at its source, Lake Norris. One hour three minutes between the photo and this, taken as soon as I was back in Blackwater Creek.











The Creek is very low. Every minute or so I was pushing off another log. I had to get out at one point, dragging the yak on the bank. This is the launch site.









The first time I yaked here, back in 2005, the boards were underwater.
But, I knew I would soon be in Lake Norris and deep water.










And choppy. The forecast for winds of 20 mph in the afternoon was accurate. Not a good day to be kayaking a large lake. Unless that lake is Lake Norris. Cypress tress rim the shore, allowing the kayaker to paddle inside a natural breakwater.





















The cypresses are prime osprey nesting sites.
























And great egrets.














I had the Lake almost to myself. One fishing boat. One reptile.






The cypress trees make this a unique paddle.











Back into the Creek, dealing with the low water. I think I'll wait for the upcoming rainy season to raise the water level before my next visit.





I landed about 2:00, as a gopher tortoise ambled by. Had a sandwich at the lone picnic table, then got the yak on the car. Took the scenic route home. Through the Seminole State Forest. Entering from the north end, of State Highway 44, unlocking the north gate. A slow 8 mile or so drive on gravel roads. Stopped at the launch site.






Stopped before that when I saw a sign "Observation Blind" A short trail leads to a blind on the edge of a clearing. I did not stay long enough to observe anything. Bear Pond is near the south entrance. This is a "borrow pit"---Dug out for roads. It is stocked with fish. Nice fishing pier.


I walked around the pond to conclude the day. Home in time to see the first of the Packers two picks in the first round.

No comments: