Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chassahowitzka River






Last night, I contemplated where I to take the new (used) kayak for its first extended voyage. I was thinking Rainbow River, maybe Silver. Then I looked at the near shore marine forecast for the Gulf. Smooth. That got me thinking of Caldesi Island, or Fort DeSoto. Or maybe a place that has not appeared on Dave's Yak Tales, Cockroach Bay. Or, a location I have not visited, Anclote Key. Then, I thought, I want to go someplace with lots of wildlife,












and multiple environments,






to test the yak under varied conditions.













So, I "took off" to the Chassahowitzka River


I was out of bed at 5 am, in the Chas at 7:40. Paid my $2.12 at the honor box, as the concession was not yet open. Ten or vehicles in the lot, pickups with trailers. Into the River, early morning steam rising, I checked out the area near the launch and Head Spring for manatees. Did not find any. Downstream to Houseboat Spring, another manatee hangout. None there either. Winter is over, no need for manatees to seek the warmth of the springs.








On to Baird Creek I paddled, over its Spring, continuing to the run coming from "The Crack".






To shallow to paddle, and having been to the Crack many times before, I turned back. One the way down Baird Creek I met the first paddlers of the day. And this great egret and cormorant.
















Back in the Chass, I saw this interesting looking duck.












I had no idea what it was. But, a search on the web






http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Bufflehead_dtl.html reveals it is a bufflehead. The Cornell site is great for identifying birds.






I also saw wood ducks, and this one.








Had a reddish head, but not a good enough photo for me to determine what it is. I cut and pasted this from the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge website: established in 1941, is comprised of over 31,000 acres of saltwater bays, estuaries and brackish marshes at the mouth of the Chassahowitzka River. The refuge, located approximately 65 miles north of St. Petersburg, FL, was established primarily to protect waterfowl habitat ....






Sixty-eight years later, I'd say the Refuge is a success.









I continued paddling coming to a trio of islands that divides the River in half. The right, north side is two shallow for power boats, That's where I went.

Green heron.






Otters











Reentering the main channel, more critters along the south bank.

















Raccoon, tri colored heron, yellow crowned night heron, ibis. The day-glo algae is all over the Chass and its tributaries. A Springs Protection Bill is in the committee stage in the Florida Legislature, http://audubonaction.org/florida/notice-description.tcl?newsletter_id=17123056





A vote is scheduled for Monday, April 6. If you are a springs lover, Floridian or not, send the committee an email urging a "Yes" vote. If it is after April 6, don't worry, this bill will come up again.







I approached a sign marking the beginning of Wildlife Refuge. There is a second sign, marking a manatee zone. And several were in the area. No good photos.
















The oval off the bow at one o'clock is one of the 4-5 manatees in the area. And an alligator.














The manatees were in the north side of the River. I took a glance at the south side.













That makes 3 times paddling the new (used) kayak, bald eagles every time. Of course, you knew I saw a bald eagle already, from the opening photo. That one was down River, and on the other side. That eagle was joined by a second. Once again, in an area where a pod of manatees frolicked. In a manatee zone just upstream of Crawford Creek. On the Chass, Manatee Speed Zones are in effect from April 1 to August 31.







The eagles were far off the River. But, I found a channel and got a close view.



























What a morning ! Otters, alligators, manatees and bald eagles. Just to name the highlights. Would I see a dolphin ? No. I paddled beyond the Dog Island Rest Area, turning around at 11:15. Over 3.5 hours on the water. Here is the rest area.






Too high for me. The river bottom around the dock is mucky, so no stepping out into the water here. But, just downstream of the dock is hard bottom, so I stepped out. Had a ham and cheese sandwich and cookies standing in the Chass.









Another yellow crowned night heron, this on the north bank. And a gator.
















































On the return trip I took a scenic detour up Potter Creek, which enters the Chas from the north. I found myself gliding. The incoming tide was stronger than the downstream current.












I arrived at Potter Springs, and a gator (not the one above, that was on the way up Creek, slid off a log. A log I've used to enter the Spring. Guess I won't be snorkeling here today. I then entered the short narrow run to Ruth Spring. I'll take a dip here. No. A couple was already there and it is to small for three. It was just the second time I've see anyone on Ruth Spring Run. The photo near the beginning of the Tale with the yak in a jungle setting is Ruth Spring Run.


Back to Potter Spring, the gator lay on the bank. I paddled down Potter, a group in rental canoes came upstream. "Where are the manatees supposed to be" "They aren't 'supposed to be' anywhere, they keep their own schedule. "


There were now a lot of people on the River, I'm glad I got an early start. Too crowded at the Solution Holes for me, so I spent a day on the Chas without snorkeling.


Final pic, a pelican watching anglers at the head spring.



I landed at 2:10, a 6.5 hour Saturday of the Chas. The parking lot was full, cars, trucks and trailers parked on both sides well up the entrance road. I'm glad I decided to roll out of bed when I woke at 5 am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave, me and a buddy were talking about kayaking the Chass. After your information, I cant wait. Thanks for the info!

Dave said...

Mike, time to stop yaking and start yaking.