Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Lake Maitland and Lake Minnehaha

Got the new (used) kayak out this morning, Wednesday, April 1, 2009 for a quick paddle on the Maitland portion of the Winter Park Chain of Lakes. I've seen bald eagles every time I've been in the new yak. Twice. This one today on Lake Minnehaha. Actually on a pine tree on the shore of Lake Minnehaha.



I was out of bed at 8, in the water at Fort Maitland Park at 8:50. This mallard drake grudgingly let me pass as I paddled from the launch.




As I've written before, the Winter Park Chain is an excellent wood duck location.








Nary a ripple on Lake Maitland.



I kayaked to the canal linking Lake Maitland to Lake Minnehaha, through the 1/2 mile long waterway and saw more wood ducks.










And osprey.






Paddling around the rim of Lake Minnehaha, this is some of what I saw.





















I was almost back to the canal when I saw the eagle.



Neat sight on a little suburban lake, where, in addition to all the birds, I've see an otter and an alligator on prior paddles.








Back to the canal, where one limpkin perched as a second flew by.









Ibis probe a manicured lawn.








The covered bridge always provides a scenic shot.









Back to Lake Maitland, a sculler rippled the water. It, a second rower, and a motor boat were the only other craft on the water during my two hours.














Few people, more wildlife.











Pop quiz. In what county is the Winter Park Chain of Lakes ?










Closing gallery. Anhinga.





Tri colored heron.

Another wood duck.

Morhen.

Other critters seen, but not here: Green heron, turtles, blue heron, bass, belted kingfishers, cormorants, coots, and some kind of duck with a white band on the head.

It was good to get the new yak on a familiar spot. Water conditions quite different then the chop and wind Sunday on Strickland Bay. I'm finding that the straight tracking has a trade off. The Tsunami is harder to turn than the old Sun. My first two paddles have been on open waters, it will be interesting when I take it on a flowing, twisting, narrow spot, like Rock Springs Run.

2 comments:

Srozga said...

Ozaukee? no? Maitland?

Dave said...

Funny, Steve. You should know Ozaukees don't grow on trees.