Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Alexander Creek

Happy Father's Day from HOT Florida. So hot, I disregarded safety and took off my PFD. I need to get a new one. Actually this, is a new one. I've had a $20 Wal-mart gift card in my wallet since Christmas. I ripped my old PFD, so I figured I'd use the card. I wanted pockets, which this has, but it also has a collar like a parka. Not good for Florida.





Views from the 445 Bridge to the Recreation Area.














































A heat wave is underway. Sunday's high in Astor, FL was 97, tying the day's record. It was a cool 88 at 10 am when I began, 95 at 1:00 pm, with a heat index of 107 when I finished before it really got hot. On the Spring fed Creek, in the Ocala National Forest, I'm sure it was a few degrees cooler.








The Spring sure felt good.








































I decided to skip my usual walk on the Timucuan Trail, in order to beat the midday heat. Here's the view from the kayak as I left at 11:30.



There were very few people paddling Alexander Creek. Which was fine by me. I paddled past the Bridge for about half an hour, turned around, back to and past the bridge again to see if anyone was home at the bald eagle tree. No bald eagles this trip.












Paddling spring fed waterways is a great way to spend a hot day. The water is always 72 degrees, perhaps a bit warmer near the surface, and watching the fish, turtles, and alligators below you is a treat. I had one of my best ever underwater gator views. Coming down Creek, I saw some grasses just above the surface. Something seemed wrong about how the current was flowing through them. As I passed, I saw an alligator floating in the weeds, above the bottom, below the surface. Usually they will flee when I approach. This one did not, it remained, giving me a very clear close view of the five footer. I think it was acting like a bass, lying in ambush for lesser creatures to come downstream.

No comments: