Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Geiger Key and Venetian- Riveria Canal- Salt Ponds



Tuesday, June 1, 2010, 7:50 am, on the porch swing at the cabin, waiting for the coals to get ready for breakfast. Picnic table wet, it rained tonight, 60% chance today. I do see a few blue patches in the sky. But, more on today later, I need to compose the Yak Tale for Sunday, May 30, 2010.

I borrowed a book, “50 Places to Paddle in the Florida Keys” from my nephew, Arlo, and Ashley. It does not include the Long Beach Road, Coupon Bight, paddle. Monica wanted to join me, so seeing a phone number, and rentals for several routes going out from Sugarloaf Lodge, she called to reserve a rental. Then, leafing through the book, she said, “Geiger Key, I should call Mimi”
My sister’s good friends, Mimi and Simon, live on the water. They have several kayaks, and were kind enough to let Monica use one. Geiger Key is about 10 miles from Key West. Past Boca Chica, to Big Coppit Key, then over a bridge along the edge of the Naval Air Station, to Geiger Key. I should have taken photos of Mimi and Simon’s property. An abundance of tropical foliage.

We launched around 10:00 am. On the Atlantic. Which, in the Keys, is on many days. as smooth as a small, windless lake, thanks to the reefs just offshore. The opening photo was taken shortly after we launched.




Our route, suggested by Mimi and Dylan, her son. had us heading left along the mangrove lined shore to a channel. A channel full of small rays and sponges. Snapper and needle fish. An easy paddle, as the tide was headed the same direction we were. Arrived at a fork, and took the right, wider path. Not to wide, in one section the mangroves formed a canopy.



Not a lot of birds, a few ibis and some green herons. The channel opened up into a wide, lake like area. On the map there are two such areas where we were. I am not sure if we were on Similar Sound, or another, unnamed area. Unnamed in the 50 Places to Paddle book. We headed counterclockwise. For two reasons, it was into the breeze, and I saw a large white bird. I recently learned the difference between great egrets and great white herons. The former have black legs, the latter, white. It was a great white heron. My first confirmed sighting.
The area we were in reminded me of the Mosquito Lagoon. Shallow, mangroves, and radar installations. Here, from the Boca Chica Naval Air Station.



Our return paddle, against the tide, was more of a challenge. I was take to get a photo of a small yellow song bird. We returned to Mimi and Simon’s at 12:05.


Yakdave, yaking. My sister said you can't see my face. I good thing, if you ask me.

After lunch, Monica went to a shower, I went kayaking. Monica does not live on the water. I had to walk a block to put in. A pond-like area on the Venetian Canal, which runs from the north side of the island into Rivera Canal, an east-west waterway. Mangrove snapper and other fish schooled in the shallows near shore. A pair of horseshoe crabs mated.



I paddled away from the road, Fogarty Ave, then made a left into the canal proper. Past back yards, not every high above the water. Under a bike/pedestrian bridge, arched, no need to duck.





I had to duck paddling beneath Flagler Avenue. This green heron was just past Flagler Ave.







I arrived at the junction of Venetian and Rivera, turned left into the larger Rivera Canal. Lined with homes, and boat ramp just after I entered. I was looking for the entrance to the Salt Ponds, an undeveloped area, about the last one in Key West. I’d been there before, but could not recall how I got there. I turned up a side canal, that wasn’t it. Back to Rivera. Where I saw my first iguana outside of a zoo. The first of several.











Seeing the green one in the foliage and brown lizard on the fence, I wondered is iguanas are chameleons. My sister tells me they turn brown as they get older. And bigger. I had to zoom out to get the entire brown one in the frame, tale and all. Came to an overlook on my right. I’ve been there before, its at the end of a trail in Hammaca Park, the Salt Ponds. Was there a water trail also? No. I continued, eventually arriving at a break in the mangroves. I entered the narrow, twisting waterway, eventually coming out into the Salt Ponds.








Key West International on the other side, a useful landmark. I did not stay for long. as I wanted to make sure I found the spot where I came out of the mangroves. Did not see any birds, just a wind surfer. Back into the mangroves, paddle through the trail, and came out near where I began. Tried again. Exited, but this time a different set of buildings marked the horizon. The place is Salt Ponds, as in plural. Back in the mangrove maze. This time I came out where I wanted, Rivera Canal. Through an opening north east of where I had entered. I paddled to the mouth of the Canal, into Cow Key Channel. Past the moored boats, until it got to shallow. I did not want to paddle in the channel, so I turned back.



Took a photo of N. Roosevelt Dr, thinking I’ve driven it, walked, ran, and biked it, now I see it from the kayak. I retraced my route back to the launch, but not entering the Salt Ponds. More iguanas, and a gull.






A three hour paddle. This is the launch site. There are several places along the canals where you can put in. Just keep your eyes open when biking around Key West. I say biking, as that is the preferred mode of transport on land in Key West. Which leads to the final third of the day. By the way , most of what you read above I wrote while waiting for the fire to get hot on Tuesday morning. It rained. I had cold steak and no coffee.



Back to Key West, Sunday. Monica was meeting people for a movie. Not having seen one in a theater since 1996, this wasn't the time or place to start. I though I'd look for the sunset and brother Andy. Monica and I biked to Old Town. I took a few pics on the way to Mallory Square.



The above were taking while pedaling. I got off the Kona for these.





















Andy's spot at Red Fish, Blue Fish, was empty. I figured he'd be back for the post sunset crowd.















I thought Mallory Square was a lousy place to see a sunset. An island, Sunset Island was in the way. I'm told it all depends on the time of year as to wether you see it set on the water.























A thought occured to me. Paddle out to behind the island. But, you would have to stay out until after dark to avoid the boats zooming back in.








I left. Someone else was in Andy's both. He said he did not know where my brother was. I did not know where I was, but Key West is a small island and so if you go the wrong way, you can't get far. One detour took me to the theater Monica, Elena, Aaron, Camila and Evan were at. Seeing "Babies". Family may know why.

No comments: