Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

As promised, a kayaking Tale after yesterday's bike ride in the Seminole State Forest. 90 minutes on the Lakes this morning, June 23, 2010. Pushed off as a mallard couple sat on the Fort Maitland Park dock at 9:20.








Paddling past tri coloored and female anhinga as I paddled into an east wind on Lake Maitland towards the canal leading to lakes Nina and Minnehaha. Great egret in the canal.












Into Lake Minnehaha, via the canal and Lake Nina.











For only the second time, I had to share the Lake with a fast boat, two guys wake boarding.









I thought three people were required. Driver, skier, and observer. So, I looked it up on the FWC, that's Fish and Wildlife Commission, website. "■The operator of a vessel towing someone on skis or another aquaplaning device must either have an observer, in addition to the operator, on board who is attendant to the actions of the skier or have and use a wide-angle rear-view mirror."

Into the canal again.













Lake Nina. And back in the canal. I can't figure out what kind of hawk this is. Darker than the usual red shouldered hawks.








If you are wondering where the usual wood ducks are, so was I. Saw two females, that was it.






Back on Lake Maitland.








I returned to the launch at 10:55. The mallards were still there. Had to move off the dock as a couple anglers were landing, moved over to the grassy area where I came in.

No comments: