Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Osecola, and Nina


The need to sleep overcame my desire to paddle Rock Springs Run before work today. So, this Wednesday, July 21, 2010, I paddled part of the Winter Park Chain.





Mallards and a blue heron at the Fort Maitland launch. I joined them in the waters of Lake Maitland at 8:40. I made my way east, then north across Lake Maitland.

























































As usual, lots of anhingas as I made my way to Kraft Azalea Gardens on the south side of Lake Maitland.

































Into the Venetian Canal to Lake Osceola.






















Across Lake Osceola to the Albin Polasek Sculpture Gardens.


I now had a decision to make. Enter the Fern Canal and make a quick visit to Lake Virgina, or paddle back, and time permitting, go into the Lake Maitland- Lake Minnehaha Canal. I decided the later would make for less time pressure, so I turned around.


















The Venetian Canal presents pleasing photo opportunities.






Anhingas and cormorants in the cypress trees marking the Maitland/ Winter Park border.












Plenty of time left to go to the Lake Maitland-Minnehaha Canal and Lake Nina.












Re-entering Lake Maitland, above. The osprey pic turned out well. Three others were deleted. Gotta love digital cameras. It has a fish. See the tail?


A pair of wood ducks and a mallard. About four other boats on the lakes, 3 speed boats and a sculler. I landed just before 11:00. Fort Maitland Park is so close to home that the bottom of the kayak had a few wet spots when I took it off the roof in the garage.

No comments: