Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, March 14, 2011

Seminole State Forest Bike Ride

Reliable guy that I am, I did enjoy the first work day of day light savings with a post work bike ride in the Seminole State Forest, Monday, March 14, 2011. The view above is looking across the road from the kayak put in, my starting point. 
Saw a hawk and a rabbit on the drive in, a rabbit on the drive out.





The deer are eluding me.  I could smell them.  A fellow outdoors person mentioned a while ago she could smell deer on Rock Springs Run. Skeptical, I asked what they smell like.  Horses.  And wouldn't you know it, I've gotten to recognize the musky scent of a large animal.  Or, I have a good imagination.
 No wildlife on the bike ride, but its 5.25 miles of exercise in a beautiful setting I would not have got otherwise.   And I saw something that will change my plans for tomorrow.   A large group at the Oaks Camp site.  Complete with a trailer with about 8 kayaks.  I think I'll head to Wekiwa Springs State Park tomorrow after my half day and paddle Rock Springs Run.
Blackwater Creek from the launch site.  A guy was loading his kayak as I came back, two folks fished from the bridge.

Pics from the car.

And out of the car after I locked the gate behind me, at Bear Pond.

I could change my mind about not visiting the Forest tomorrow to kayak, and or go for a bike ride Wednesday morning, but chance are this is the last visit on the permit that expires on St. Patrick's Day.  I will be back April 9.  Have the Moccasin Springs campsite reserved.  Had it last April too, but it was flooded.  Hopefully it will rain, just not flooding rains, and not that weekend.  Assuming dry conditions, it will be my third overnight at the site.  Saw bears the first two.

No comments: