Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, August 19, 2011

Juniper Creek

Friday, August 19, 2011 was the day this month I worked half a day.  I would have rather done the half day Tuesday, kayak, come home compose the Yak Tale, and sleep late Wed., when I start work at 12:30.  But, the man told be my half day would be today.  So, we'll see if I can finish this Tale before going to bed to get ready for work at 8 am tomorrow.

I was told that the dirt road to the Alexander Creek take out in the Ocala National Forest was graded yesterday.  I thought of going there, but decided on Juniper Creek.  Juniper is much to crowded on weekends, so this would be a good time to paddle it..

As I approached the Juniper Wayside on Florida Highway 19, a van from the Juniper Springs Recreation area passed me, southbound.  Perfect, it would not be in my way at the launch.  People were in my way at the launch.  I could not give them too much grief, as they had two yaks on a Nissan Versa and the third yak was a Wilderness Tsunami.  14.5, mine is a 14.  They could have pulled up a few feet and over, so traffic could get through.   I just backed up into the parking area.  "You're going upstream?  It's flowing fast, with all the rain."  Same storm that started as I was putting, or trying to put the kayak on the car last night.  It began raining as I was threading the belly straps through the uprights.  Didn't load the yak until this morning.

On the Creek at 2:57
My plan was to paddle up Juniper Creek for about two hours, or to the old midpoint dock. 


My plan was contingent on making is past the fast water of the new spring.  Last time I paddled Juniper, in February, was the first time I went down creek only.  In the Yak Tale describing that paddle, I wrote I might not be able to paddle up Creek, as the current down from the new spring was so fast.

Just the "normal" current was swift, I had to make sure I had up Creek momentum to have a drink of water.  So, I would not start backing up.  Encountered a kayaker, then a father and son in a canoe.  All appeared to be enjoying the paddle.   The next two canoe loads were not.  "How much farther?"  "About half an hour" They did not look pleased.  But, the paddling, for them, got easier.  One more canoe,   I warned them of a few low trees I ducked under.  They did not tell me I was almost to the rapids.
Ok, not really, but for Florida, this is fast.  A spring opened up on the south bank a couple years ago.  The flow has increased greatly, dare I say exponetinally, over time.  I used to be able to paddle against the current.  Today, I made slow progress, then no progress, using all my strength just to stay in place.  So, I gave up.  And got wedged against the tree in the above photo.  I had to get out of the kayak to get in unstuck.  As I did, it rolled a bit, taking on a bit of water.  I walked in the Creek to a spot where the flow was not quite so flat, and used a towel to bail.  My plan was to land somewhere down Creek to get the bulk of the water out.  I had only been on the Creek 50 minutes.
Here's a video from my standing position.
Remember the low trees I warned the canoers about?  One got me.  A palm angled over the Creek.  Of course, the current took me into the low end.  I tried to pull my self to the high side and duck under.  I ducked, leaned, and rolled over.  Good think I had a rope on my glasses.  A refreshing dip on a hot day.  I turned the yak right side up, and walked, in the Creek, just a few yards to a well worn area on the left bank.  Could be a deer crossing, I think I am not the first paddler to use it as a recombubulation area. My sunscreen, bug spray, and towel floated down the Creek, I recovered a water bottle.  Had two more in the hold.  Back up memory card and batteries stay dry in a dry bag, which was secured to a seat strap..  I've tipped twice while paddling, both on Juniper Creek.  (Tipping while launching does not count as "while paddling").   Well, I planned on landing to get the water out, just had a bit more than before.  Got most of the water out, and reentered kayak and Creek.



 Juniper Creek is not a great place to see wildlife, fast current and thick forest.  However, I have seen as many as 10 deer on one trip.  None today. Saw an otter.  It's in the first photo, off the bow at one o'clock.
I took a peak a the cabin on Sweetwater Spring. Did not hear anyone, so I paddled over the "No Trespassing" rope.  But, I heard a screen door open and close, so I backed out, respecting the privacy of the luck renters.   I need to remember to enter the lottery so I can spend a week here.  And no, I will not tell you when the lottery takes place.  Need to improve my chances.
 Saw one more canoe, a family coming up the Creek.  I bet they were staying in the Sweetwater Springs cabin.  Back to 19 at 5:05.
I kept going.  I've only gone past the launch a couple times.  But as I had only been out an hour, I kept going.
The launch area, and the area across from it, used to be a "Redneck Riviera".  But, a few years ago, the area across from the launch was closed, and a "No Swimming" rule enforced.  Now, the area across from the launch looks like the rest of the Creek, thick vegetation where a dirt parking area used to be.  As you can see from the above sign, restoration efforts continue.  Just wonder how air boats will affect the habitat.  I heard one as I was launching.  I also worry they may fit under the new bridge.  Saw no one as I floated downstream.



I'm thinking it would be nice, on a calm, weekday, to paddle to Lake George, than up to Silver Glen Spring.   Wonder how far that is? Guessing about 4 miles from the Wayside launch to Lake George, than another 3 or 4 to Silver Glen.



View down Juniper Creek just before coming about at 5:40.




Landed at 6:15.  Don't when my arms have been so tired from a three hour paddle.  Hopefully I will recover by 1 or so tomorrow, after working to noon.

I've seen bald eagles across from the Juniper Wayside. Just a hawk today.

No comments: