Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lake Katherine, Day 4

Friday, August 5, 2011. Another spectacular Lake Katherine sunrise. Pete and I had talked about paddling to Lake Tomahawk, but he wasn't up at 6 am, so I set out.






I had yet to paddle to the north end of Lake Katherine, so I headed that way, past the public ramp.  I figured when Pete came out, he could see me.


Eagles, the first one, two pics, is in the right side of the tree.



Turkeys, at the north end of the Lake. I paddled back towards the dock.







The Yawkey dive platform, or Green Monster, Midwest.  The same Yawkeys that owned the  Red Sox for years had vast logging operations in northern Wisconsin, and still own a large piece of land on the shores of Lake Katherine. I paddled to our dock, and saw Pete's kayak was gone.  I paddled towards the canal.


Pete, coming back from the Canal.

 I gave him the camera.
He made it to Lake Tomahawk, but had to get out and walk a couple times. He only did it because I did.  Nothing like brotherly competition.  Perhaps I should have waited for him. He saw two, or was it three? deer in a little reedy cove just before the Canal.
 Paddling back to the dock, I said I wanted to stay out until I saw another bald eagle.


It took, oh, about a minute to see the one above.



Paddled past the indigenous wildlife and landed at 9:20.  Had a second breakfast, first breakfast being a piece of bread as I walked to the dock.   An hour or so later, back on the water.

This time with Monica. She in the Kestrel, I in Pete's Perception Sundance.  We paddled to the tree where Pete and I saw the eagle. It was gone. So we paddled around the island, one of three visible from the dock.





 Loon
The loons breast got big, not sure if it was swallowing a fish or getting ready to dive. As it went under, likely the latter.


Mergansers.  Female, and young. Adult males have a big white dot on their head. Monica headed to shore, I said I would stay out until I saw another eagle.



Took a little longer this time, twenty minutes. Back to shore to watch the action from the dock and shore.












Anna, paddle board expert.  She paddled to the nearest island, accompanied by her mom, in a kayak.  Later, she showed Uncle Pete how to stay balanced.

Pete's balance is excellent.  I could not stand up for five seconds, even with out and active 11 year old on the board.  Lucky for me, I had the camera.  Pete and Anna paddle to the nearest island, Anna doing the work on the way out, Pete on the return.
A rare photo. Me, camera in hand.  With my Mom. By Pete.
Pete and I next went for a walk on the Bearskin Trail.  We drove, instead of walking to the trail.  That gave us more time on the shaded path.


 First deer photos of the vacation.

Pete set a brisk pace.  I think we walked about 3 miles.

Back at the lake, Jack wanted to get a photo of the entire fleet in the water.  Kind of like herding cats.

All 6 vessels are in the above photo. Left to right: Aidan in the Emotion kayak, Anna, off the paddle board, me, in the Kestrel, Clare, in Pete's Sundance, Larry, in the Old Town canoe, and Monica and Pete in the pedal boat. I call it a pedal boat, some call it a paddle boat.




Photos by Mom/Grammy, with Pete's camera.  Here are some I took.
 Levitation.




The fleet came back to port as the folks from the outfitter were on the way to pick up the rentals.
 Lots of small perch, blue gills, sun fish, and small mouth bass off the dock.
 Anna and Aidan at snorkel depth.
From our stay two years ago?

The outfitter came to get the four rentals.  And told us she could not back the trailer up the long drive way.  So, more time on the water as I paddled the Emotion to the boat ramp.
Adian and Anna half walked and half paddled the canoe and Kestrel to the launch.  The lady put the paddle board on the trailer.   I wound up carrying both kayaks from the water to the parking lot and helping her carry and put the canoe on the trailer.   I can't complain too much, the three day rental for the Kestrel yak and paddle board worked out to $31.65 a day, each.  Not bad with delivery and pickup.

Now, my Mom would have loved it if we caught and cleaned every small fish, but that would not have been enough for dinner.  So, we went to The Edge, on County Road Y, for a traditional Friday Fish Fry.  Note to self- go with the walleye, a large portion at $13.95, instead of the all you can eat pollack at $9.95.

On the way home, I saw two deer dash in front of the car.  Aidan, with better eyes, said he saw four.




 After dinner stroll.  Small mouth at night fall ends day four.


No comments: