Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Nina and Minnehaha

The most scenic part (other than the covered bridge) of the Lake Maitland- Lake Minnehaha Canal. Paddled it this morning, August 24, 2011. On my way from Fort Maitland Park at 8:40. Would have been 8:25-30 but when I pulled up to the boat ramp I saw the camera wasn't on the passenger seat. Went home to get it.



 Needed the camera for the usual anhinga, and more, photos.


Wood ducks and turtle on Lake Nina.
The covered bridge.
Into Lake Minnehaha, anhinga and blue heron below.
 Closer view of the blue.


A water skier was on the Lake.  Just the second time that's happened during my weekday morning paddles.
 Red shouldered hawk.





Moorhens


 If the owl is there to scare birds away, I don't think its working.

Circled Lake Minnehaha, back to the blue heron I saw on the way in.

 Lake Nina anhinga.


Anhingas on Dog Island, Lake Maitland.



Landed at 10:40.  Just as 4 kayakers were headed out.  Fort Maitland Park has a main road that ends at the ramp.  A second drive loops from the north side.  When I launch, I come in on the second drive, stop before the ramp, unload, put the kayak on the grass to the right of the dock, away from the ramp, then park.  These folks came down the main drive, unloaded, in front of the ramp, put the kayaks on the ramp, then parked.  Or left, I never saw them come back as one person watched the kayaks.  A boat landed, there was enough room, but why use the ramp?  Bad on the bottom, and with a wider power boat, or bad driver, one of the yaks may have been hit.

Just an observation.

No comments: