Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

Approaching Dog Island, Lake Maitland.  For years I've said that I love November.  Here's another reason.  For the last 6 months or so, I may have used a late start day at work after a half day, the second half kayaking, cutting the lawn.  But, in November, grass doesn't grow.  So,  I left the yak on the car last night, and was on Lake Maitland at 8:40.



The usual anhinga abundance.   The white necked are female.
 Wood ducks.  The males are the colorful ones.
 Great egret.

Belted kingfisher.

 Through the canal to Lake Minnehaha


 Moor hen
 Mallards
Great blue heron
 Shake a tail feather
 Bottoms up







The above photo received strong consideration for first photo of the Tale honors.








 Back through the canal, into Lake Nina




 
 


Back to Lake Maitland.


Pie billed grebe.  Lake Maitland was glassy as I paddled to Dog Island.  Just one boat on the large lake.  Earlier, I saw fast kayakers coming out of the Lake Maitland-Minnehaha canal. Probably the same guys I saw last week.
 Coots



The boat I saw was a City of Maitland vessel.   Stopped at Dog Island to empty the trash barrels.  That's the route I'd want if I was a garbage man.
One more boat as I landed. A fancy, new speed boat.  A local dealer trying to make a sale, taking a shopper for a test ride from the public ramp.

Landed a 10:55, after, what else, more anhingas.

No comments: