Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rock Springs Run

I need to get my quarterly haircut. Last got the ears lowered in June.  Stopped by the barber shop after work yesterday, only to discover they now close at 3:30.   Got home, put the yak on the car.  If I woke early, I'd go to Wekiva Springs State Park.  Later, I'd get my haircut, than do the Lake Maitland, Minnehaha paddle.  Glad I rose early. 



Launched from Wekiwa Springs State Park at 7:50  Down the Wekiva River 15 minutes to Rock Springs Run.  Up the Run, saw an otter. Got the camera out, but it went under.  Lucky for me, the Run is too shallow for deer to dive.



Then, 2, 3, 4, 5.  One larger doe with two yearlings, and a second mother and child.    November is a great time to see deer.  Bucks are in rut, one had to be nearby.


Nearby, no buck, another doe.


Six deer.  Paddling Rock Springs Run, I always say to myself, "going to see 10 deer today"  I was more than half way there and just a quarter of the way into the paddle.



My half way point was the Big Buck campsite.

Made the turn at 9:30.



Two more doe, between Big Buck and Indian Mound.  Still no bucks, but my deer count reached 8.
Another otter just went under before this photo.




People count, 0, so far.







Finally, a buck.
As it walked through the emergent vegetation I thought, "Video"

I don't think it even noticed me as it walked across Rock Springs Run..  This time of year, bucks are focused on one thing.  Unlike human males, who are focused on finding the ladies all 12 months.

Back to the Wekiva River, where I saw two canoes and two alligators.




Landed at 10:55, deer count 9. But, the big buck, an  eight pointer, is worth 2.. Had the usual cool swim in the Spring before going to work.  With new snorkel gear fron Sierra Trading Post.  So now, when friends don't bring theirs, I'll have one to share.







Looking forward to the weekend.  Taking Monday off, going the Cedar Key.  Will spend BD 52 the same way I spent the last 52, and more, weekends.  Kayaking.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

What a morning!
I propose a RSR trifecta: deer, bear, otter.
First one to score buys a round.

Rick, Sunshine State said...

What a wildlife !!
life is good Dave!!