Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hillsborough River

Nine hours, fifteen minutes on the water, with a lunch break, then a short bike ride.  Went through three camera batteries.  Downloaded 238 photos.  This is going to be one of those 3days to compose Tales, as I begin at 9:00 PM Saturday.
The day on the water began at 7:15.
 Alligator one of the day was taken from the kayak dock at Trout Creek Park just before I put the yak in the water.

 Muscovy duck







If I see a three headed hound in this boat, I'm getting the Hades out.

I saw a roseate spoonbill upstream of Nature's Classroom, (where the vulture boat was) but got greedy, too close, and it flew away.  Up River. I was traveling down.

 Mottled ducks


A buck with perfectly symmetrical antlers is somewhere in the trees.



Saw one person before I got to Morris Bridge. A kayak angler.
I had seen two, three gators but this the first photo since I got on the River.  Taken as I paddled past Morris Bridge Park at 9 am.







 Gators emerged as the sun rose in the sky.




Could not get the alligators in the photo with the blue heron and limpkin. Here they are.

 On second look, I did get one of the alligators.

I paddle pretty far before I saw any paddlers.  I recognized the first guy from my last time on the Hillsborough.  There was one large group of kayakers.  In all, maybe 15 boats between Morris Bridge and John Sargeant Park.



Approaching Sargaent Park, 10:45.  The paddlers are headed up Flint Creek. I continued on the Hillsborough.



I have no idea where the "17 Runs"name comes from.   I always think,  17 runs, on  25 hits, no errors, 2 men left on base"
I turned back at the first obstacle.


I landed at Sargeant Park at 11:15.  Waiting for the outgoing yakers to board their dogs.  The Canoe Escape employee agreed with me.  The alligator packed Hillsborough is not a good place to take a dog.Speaking of Canoe Escape, they are now located at Sargeant Park.  No more going to the shop, then busing to the launch.

Lunch on the dock, then back in the kayak.
When launching, my right foot sank ankle deep in the soft bottom.  I figure once I got out of the canal and on the River, I'd dangle my foot over the side to wash it off.  But first, I paddled up Flint Creek.


I decided washing my foot could wait.





There was more than gators.  They have to eat something.
I was only able to paddle, or paddle and photograph, for 15 minutes, as this log blocked the way.








Paddled past the John Sargeant Park dock at 12:20, and headed down the Hillsborough River.


And the gator beat went on.







I did eventually hang my foot over the side and clean up the muck.



I passed  down River paddlers, most of whom end at Morris Bridge Park.


 Overlook at Morris Bridge Park. A short walk, bike, or paddle from the main park area.


Looking up a runoff creek, the first spoonbill photo of the day.
It will take to long to count the alligator photos.


Paddled by Morris Bridge Park at 1:55.


I saw no one on the water during the Morris Bridge to Trout Creek paddle.


Got my roseate spoonbills.



Including  the pair that open this Tale.



Approaching Trout Creek Park at 3:40.  I went to the other side of the River to paddle up Trout Creek.


Two youngsters, fishing with their uncle, told me they saw a 13 foot gator. "It came off the bank at 100 miles an hour!"   Having seen the gators on Trout Creek, I did not doubt them.

Came to this road block at 4:00.   Good thing I was blocked on all 3 waterways, or I might still be out there.


Duck weed

Back to the Hillsborugh River for one last alligator.

Landed at 4:30, 9 hours, 15 minutes after I began.  Was the day over? Not with the extensive bike trails in Wilderness Park.

 Almost fell on this snake.  Coming off the park road  to enter the Bayshore trail.  Hit a tree with my handle bar.  Well, almost hit it if I were 10 feet tall.  Moc or harmless brown water snake?
The trail goes by two small lakes.
The Bayshore Trail is a short loop off the Park road.  I was looking for the main trail. In the past, I've ridden it north. This time, I wanted to ride the southern section. Which goes from atop the dike that protects Tampa from flooding, on to the Park road, into the woods, back on the road, across Morris Bridge Road to a parking area.  From there, you can ride to Morris Bridge Park.  I just went a little way, before seeing another trail that took me back to the parking area.

Final look at the Hillsborough from atop the flood gate.

5.43 miles on the odometer. Not much, unless you were just kayaking for 9 hours.  Final photo on the way out.


After which the Change Battery Pack message occurred for the third time.  I'll need to buy a fourth battery for and upcoming Easter camping trip in the Seminole State Forest.  In February, I was able to nurse the trio I have.  But as days get longer, I think I will need a fourth.  But, lots of kayaking before that rolls around.

3 comments:

Luis said...

Good call about waiting to wash your feet. Am still laughing as I type. Waiting for the rest of the post.

Joanne said...

Hard to say for sure about the snake without a closer look to see if it had round pupils, but I've yet to see a harmless water snake with that dark streak through the eye, so my best guess is cottonmouth.

Brenda M said...

I would definitely say that was a water moc, Master Dave. They have that distinctive band thru the eye that you captured in the photo very well. Good thing you didn't fall on it!