Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rock Spings Run

Here it is, Tuesday night, and I'm finally getting to Sunday's Tale. But first, a weather report.   It did not feel like it, but record highs were set Saturday in Orlando, 90, and Thonotosassa (Hillsborough River) 87.  I guess it wasn't humid.  But, Saturday night, the wind shifted, out of the north. NOAA was forecasting 25 mile and hour winds with higher gusts.  Lake wind advisory.  So, I went to where I always go on windy days, Wekiwa Springs State Park to paddle the narrow tree line waters of Rock Spring Run.  The trees block the worst of the wind. Of course, the wind can also knock trees over, but it wouldn't be an adventure without a little risk.  I reduced my driving risk by changing out my car rack from a vertical stacker, with the kayak on its side, to cradles, laying it flat on the roof.  That delayed the start of my launch to 9:55.


Bird variety in the lagoon. Anhinga, blue heron, (juvenile) tricolored heron, great egret.  The lagoon narrows, turning into the Wekiva River.

Black crowned night heron. On to Rock Springs Run.



Lots of ibis.




It was windy, worse on the open parts of the Run where it had more room to gather steam.  I asked campers at Otter Camp if their tents stayed upright.  They had.



I turned around at 11:55.  At a maple tree that has fallen into the Run, its branches adapting, rising straight from water to sky.


Stopped at the unoccupied Big Buck campsite at 12:15 for a lunch break.

Of the three primitive sites on Rock Springs Run, this is the only one with a picnic table.  The others, benches only. This has both.
Back on the water, Wind and current at my back.  A good thing, as I was pretty worn out after Saturday's nine hours on the Hillsborough.



A few intrepid paddlers began coming up Rock Springs Run.  Father and son, in a canoe.  Shorts and T-shirts.  I, in long pants and windbreaker asked, "What part of  Wisconsin are you from?"  To which the elder replied, "I wish, we're from Maryland"




This is the tri colored heron in the opening photo.  Back in the lagoon.  A little gator, the first of the day was on the scene, but not in it. I paddled across the lagoon to see how the log that held many gators my last two visits was doing.
Only one.


I landed at 2:20. And went for a walk.


This has to be a prescribed burn.  It comes up to the edge of the campground.


Here is a Trail Map  I was on the white and orange blazed trail from the Spring to Lake Prevatt.  The orange Volksmarch Trail is 5.3 miles.  I walked to marker 9, further than I wanted.  My plan was to turn around at Lake Prevatt, but I went past it.


You have to get off the maim trail to see the Lake. Or, should I say, former Lake?

Bone dry.

I walked for two hours, I'd say 4 miles.  With a few breaks on convenient benches.  This fat old man needs them. No deer all day, I'll have to go back tomorrow.  Its my half day for March.

No comments: