Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Blackwater Creek

Made it to the Wekiva River from the State Forest bridge for the first time since Easter. Not because toppled trees have been cut away.  The Creek is high enough to paddle around the worst roadblock.

A buck ran across Sand Road as I drove through the Seminole State Forest to the launch site.  Underway at 9:15.
First indication of the Creek's height was almost, but not quite, having to duck under the bridge.

I think this is the tree that has blocked the Creek for the last 5-6 weeks.  I was able to paddle around it, to the right, thanks to the deep water.








Plants cross the Creek near where there is a high bank on the left side.  But not very deep, the plants, not the water.  Easy to push through.
Illegal campsite on the high ground.






Into the Wekiva, 11:40.  I paddled down River to a little island, circled it, paddled back to Blackwater Creek.


Saw no wildlife during my short time on the Wekiva, this great egret is back on Blackwater Creek

Saw two deer. Heard them first, maybe they sensed me, as they dashed into the trees before I could get a photo.

Algae filled pond at my lunch spot.  Made a good background for the spider.
A fresh cut. Wonder if the guy, gal in the tent did it.  But, I did not see a boat, maybe it is a hiker camping. 


Had to duck under some trees.
Around others.

This is where I got around the tree that's been down since June.

New dead fall.  I power paddled through it.  Well, half way, then pulled on the branches to get over.

Landed at 2:35. 

It was hot. Florida in July. 96. I thought of not biking, but as I had not rode Saturday at Cedar Key, I had to do it today.  Besides,  I saw one deer from the car, two from the yak.  Surely I'd see three from the bike.

Do two deer, a rabbit, and a raccoon equal three deer?


Not bad for a 30 minute ride.  Back at the launch, I saw the first people of the day.  A father and his to young sons were fishing. On the way out, one car.  From the open waters of the Gulf around the Cedar Keys Saturday, to tree canopied Blackwater Creek Sunday, I had a fantastic weekend.

No comments: