Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Wekiva and Little Wekiva


After Saturday's long paddle all the way up Rock Springs Run.  And back. About 20 miles.  I needed something easier today.  So, I decided to see it I could find the Little Wekiva River.  Which I failed to find in April.  I would have an down stream paddle on the way.  Turned out to be not so easy.  I was on the water for 6 hours, thanks to passing the Little Wekiva and a couple other detours.  But I did find it.  That's the mouth of the Little Wekiva in the opening photo.
I launched from Wilson's Landing.  These deer were across the road from the Seminole County Park.  I got out of the car, for a better view.  Walked up the berm of a retention pond
More deer. Nine in all.

Nice start to the day. Unless your a deer, its hunting season, and someone can blast away from the pool enclosure while reading the Sunday paper.
On the Wekiva River just before 9.  I launched from the bank, not the launch area that was built a couple years ago.  Too deep and mucky.


This dock is on a narrow stream that flowed into the Wekiva.  I paddled it as far as I could.
Which wasn't very far.  Clearer than the River, could it be a spring run?. Not according to The sjrwmd

Back to the River.

I was on the east, Seminole County side, of the Wekiva.  Which is wide and full of vegetation in this area, south of Highway 46.  I came to a dead end, had to turn around, paddle back upstream, until I found a gap.
Paddled across to the Lake County side, and was able to continue up River.








To aid in my quest to  locate the Little Wekiva River, I brought along the GPS I use in the car.  Not the best one for the outdoors.  It did not show the little run I paddled on earlier.  It did show the run to the sulphur spring at Wekiva Falls.  Speaking of which, there were a lot of the RV resort's green rental canoes on the Wekiva.



The GPS showed the island in the River.  And a blue ribbon on the east. Had to be the Little Wekiva, but it did not extend, at least on my GPS, to the Wekiva.

I now know this osprey nest is just past the mouth of the Little Wekiva.


When I saw the tram posts that lead to the Buffalo Tram campsite, I knew I went to far.  I turned around.




From maps, I knew the Little Wekiva enters the Wekiva at an angle, both flowing north. I tried to visualize where they would meet.  An area where the Wekiva curved seemed like a good spot.  And was.




I paddled up the Little Wekiva for less than 30 minutes.  Above is the view when I turned around.



I saw a patch of grass, so I landed.



February 1989, 6 months before I moved to Orlando.


Back to the L'il W.


  1. Return to the Wekiva.  I was impressed by the lack of trash on both the Little Wekiva and the Wekiva.  I figured it is because fewer people paddle this area.  True, but I was told a few moths ago the Friends of Wekiva and Keep Seminole Beautiful did a clean up.  Thank you.

Belted kingfishers are coming back. They do not leave for long. First photo I've had in a while.







Wish I had a better photo of this downy green heron chick. Here is mom.







State Highway 46 Bridge in the distance.

Landed at 5 after 3.  A "short" day evolved into a 6 hour trip.  Nice to finally find the Little Wekiva.  Now, I have paddled all of the Wekiva Rivers main tributaries.  Blackwater Creek, Rock Springs Run and the Little Wekiva River.

Thursday night, I'll greet you from Sanibel Island.

No comments: