Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 24, 2012

No Name Key, again

On Friday, due to time and wind, I kind of hurried through my paddle around No Name Key.  And, as it is the place to see Key deer, as well as the more typical flying and swimming critters, I decided to go back today, Saturday.  After a ham, turkey and cheese omelet at my sister's.
Saw one deer on the drive in and was on the water at 10:10.
 
 
 
 
 
One reason I went back was to go into the bays on the south side of the key.  Paid off with this great white heron.
Distinguished from a great egret by its white legs.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Saw several adult yellow crowned night herons, but was unable to get a pic.
 
 
 Into another bay for the pelican. Strong north wind, the direction I was headed, so I did not explore the entire bay.
 
 
Not a whole lot less windy than it was Friday as I paddled to the bridge.
 
 
 
I took the cormorants on the boats pics from the other side than I had Friday.  Paddling closer to shore, this time.
 
 
The earlier, distant bridge photo was taken at 12:02.  The above, 12:51.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These new antlers itch
Ahhh, that's the spot
 
 
There were two deer, I just  took a lot of pictures
 
 
 

 
Paddled up a short inlet
Got out, looked for deer. None seen.
 
 

 
 
As I only had seen two deer, I paddled past the put in, hoping I'd see more.  Did not have to go to far.
 
 
Once again, two deer.
One walked by what has to be the old ferry wharf
 
 
 
Landed a t2:42.  Walked over for a closer view of the wharf ruins.
It is 30 miles from No Name Key to Key West
 
Thirty scenic miles
I stopped at WeCycle to pick up my bike which I had dropped off for a tuneup.  And to have a new odometer installed.  A very generous family discount from nephew, Evan, a co-owner.  I have told him I will be his pool boy when we are in Sanibel, in two weeks.
My sister was going to a Thanksgiving dinner.  At the home of a friend who worked Thursday.  I declined the invitation, as I had not ridden my bike, spent time in Old Town, seen the sunset, or brother Andy.  Set out to do all four.
 
 
 
 
 
Arlo and Ashley's reception was at Mr. Wolkowsky's roof top apartment.  On Duval, not the street named for him
Evan and Camila's was here. El Masion de Pepe.  I did not make it to the third stop of the Haskell wedding historic tour, the Key West Literary Seminar courtyard, on Love Lane. Scene of Elena and Aaron's reception.
Mallory Square performers start at young age
 
The real reason people come here
 
 
 

 One way to avoid the crowd. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I called Andy, no answer.  I figured he was working.  Later, I checked my phone, he had called. I called him, left a message, told him I would look for him on Front Street.  Monica said his booth is now there.  Selling tours.  I asked a few other booth people.  One was in his first day, the other, at Red Fish, Blue Fish, said my brother is usually at the next booth.  Which was empty.  So, we never got together.
 
 
I figured if I ate in Old Town, had a couple beers, it would be an adventure biking to my sister's in the dark.  So I went to the BBQ joint near her house for some carry out.
Pulled pork platter, $11.95, with a roll, and two sides.  The roll was a toasted hamburger bun. Made a big sandwich, and had half of the pork left.  Side one was beans.  Spicy. Mixed them in with the rest of the pork.  Side two, stuffing.  I wondered why I had 4 side dishes.  One, as I assumed, was bbq sauce.  The other, gravy for the stuffing. A fine meal to end the day.  My sister came home with a plate from the party.  I put it in the fridge, would have it for breakfast, Sunday.
 

No comments: