Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

Sunday's paddle was different than my usual Wekiva River, Blackwater Creek trip.  Did something I have never done before.  Paddled all the way from Katie's Landing to the bridge in the Seminole State Forest. And back.  It is now 10:30 PM and my arms are sore. It was worth it.  Lots of alligators, four deer, one bear.  And good to know Blackwater Creek is passable as I will be camping at Moccasin Spring in two weeks.
Underway at 9, make that 8:39.



 
 






 
 






 
Poachers.  Not animals, the land.  Not a designated campsite.
 
 
Saw a deer on the left, west bank. Unable to get a picture.



 
Ibis roosting on trees.  A sign of cooler weather in Florida.  Cool being high 70's.
 
Arrival, Blackwater Creek, 10:28.  Saw one other boat on the way.

 
 
 
 
My usual break, turn around spot.  I decided to continue paddling up the Creek.
 
 
 
 
I thought of turning around at the wide area of the Creek.  But, I'll be camping along Blackwater Creek in two weeks and wanted to see it weed blockages and downfalls I encountered this summer had been cleared.
Blue heron with a beakful.
 
 
 
The mats of vegetation that I had powered my way through in August were much smaller, and brown.  I assume a herbicide has been applied.  Noticed some new looking saw marks on branches.  At a spot that looked like the major barricade from the spring and summer, the saw marks did not look as fresh.
 
 
As this gator slid off the bank, I thought, I know where I am. There is almost always a gator here, across the Creek from a Florida Trail camp site.  I was minutes away from the bridge and launch site.
Landed at 1:35.  Sat at one of the two picnic tables, ate lunch, watched the anglers.
Found the men's room, 4th palm on the left. Back on the water at 2.
 
I saw a bear. On my left.  Small, so I figured I'd see a bigger one with it, or maybe another cub.  Just saw the one.  See the reflecting tree? See the black spot to the right?  That's the bear.  Or maybe a dark stump.  I'm going with bear.
 
 
This is the log that had blocked the Creek. The one that on the way up, had saw marks not as fresh looking as some others.  Thanks to those who cleared the Creek
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Just past this gator, a deer.
 
 
 
Not one, but two, deer.
 
Drifted back for a better alligator photo
 
 
 
Barred owl, just before leaving Blackwater Creek.  Alligators, deer, a bear, no people.  I love Blackwater Creek
 
 
 
Pie billed grebe
 
I had to conserve the camera on the paddle back up the Wekiva.  Three batteries, all drained.  One did recover.
Saw another deer, perhaps the one I saw on the way downstream.  Maybe 5,6 boaters, no kayakers until I was almost back to Katie's Landing.   Where I landed at 4:40.
 
 

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Yay, a bear! We're paddling there on Friday.

Dave said...

James, cut your link, I assume?

Paste, where?